Thank you for your donation!

Cloudsmith graciously provides open-source package management and distribution for our project.

Problem: structured music library artwork
Hi

My music library is uses a folder structure

Artist (artist.jpg)  -  Album (Album.jpg)- CD 1 (Cd.jpg)
                                                       - CD 2 (Cd.jpg)

And I have folder.jpg images in the parent folders but the artwork does not show in library list, just a black folder icon.  

I'm sure this is by design but, I wonder if the folder icon could be replaced with the artist thumbnail (if PRESENT) or at the least a folder icon that matches the size of the generated thumbnails because the page would scan better if the same size? 

The lack of artwork, is evident when browsing the library, once a library gets large though, the regenerate thumbnails process takes a long time, I wonder if there is a command to regenerate a single folder thumbnail? (as there is a scan single folder for changed music)

J3dog
Regenerate is only necessary if you truly want to start from scratch. The "Update library" process runs the thumbnail generator in update mode which means that it skips generating a thumbnail image if it's already been generated (exists in the thumbnail cache). It's usually quite fast.

I don't really understand your folder structure or where your images files are stored but the Thumbnail generator looks in the directory containing the tracks for a cover image file. It can be named Folder|folder|Cover|cover with extensions including jpg|jpeg|png|tif|tiff. If it can't find any files with these names it looks for any file name with the aforementioned extensions. This assumes you have "Cover search priority" set to "Cover file" in Preferences. If it's set to "Embedded" the Thumbnail generator will first try to extract an image from the last track in the containing directory. If that fails it goes looking for image files. Similarly if the option is set to "Cover file" and none is found it will look for embedded image.

We do have a TODO list item to make use of image files in the Artist directory of an Artist/Album directory structure but it's not getting much priority given the other items on the TODO list.
Enjoy the Music!
moodeaudio.org | Mastodon Feed | GitHub
(01-18-2021, 09:44 PM)Tim Curtis Wrote: Regenerate is only necessary if you truly want to start from scratch. The "Update library" process runs the thumbnail generator in update mode which means that it skips generating a thumbnail image if it's already been generated (exists in the thumbnail cache). It's usually quite fast.

I don't really understand your folder structure or where your images files are stored but the Thumbnail generator looks in the directory containing the tracks for a cover image file. It can be named Folder|folder|Cover|cover with extensions including jpg|jpeg|png|tif|tiff. If it can't find any files with these names it looks for any file name with the aforementioned extensions. This assumes you have "Cover search priority" set to "Cover file" in Preferences. If it's set to "Embedded" the Thumbnail generator will first try to extract an image from the last track in the containing directory. If that fails it goes looking for image files. Similarly if the option is set to "Cover file" and none is found it will look for embedded image.

We do have a TODO list item to make use of image files in the Artist directory of an Artist/Album directory structure but it's not getting much priority given the other items on the TODO list.

Ah, Thanks, it wasn't clear that 'update folder' updated music files AND thumbnails if a folder picture had been added or changed.

At several thousand tracks now I think I'll stick with my folder structure, and put up with the little black folder icons. It made sense when I started (I had loads of press release photos which were used as dividers in the album crates)

Thanks