Thank you for your donation!

Cloudsmith graciously provides open-source package management and distribution for our project.

Problem: Rebooting problem
I suspect a combination of the very long uSD extension cable, the faster RPi4B, and the fact that you are doing a warm boot (e.g., restart with power on) rather than a cold boot (e.g., from power off condition) are to blame for this specific failure mode.

It's still not a moOde issue. We're built on the Raspberry Pi OS and the point of failure here occurs before even the kernel gets loaded, let along the OS or any moOde-specific code.

The Raspberry Pi Forum would be a good place to post.

Regards,
Kent

PS - if this were my personal project, and if a warm boot were successful with the uSD card inserted directly into the RPi, then I'd try a much, much shorter extension. I'd also make sure I was using a genuine high-quality uSD card that is rated Class 10 or higher.
(01-22-2021, 07:03 PM)TheOldPresbyope Wrote: I suspect a combination of the very long uSD extension cable, the faster RPi4B, and the fact that you are doing a warm boot (e.g., restart with power on) rather than a cold boot (e.g., from power off condition) are to blame for this specific failure mode.

It's still not a moOde issue. We're built on the Raspberry Pi OS and the point of failure here occurs before even the kernel gets loaded, let along the OS or any moOde-specific code.

The Raspberry Pi Forum would be a good place to post.

Regards,
Kent

PS - if this were my personal project, and if a warm boot were successful with the uSD card inserted directly into the RPi, then I'd try a much, much shorter extension. I'd also make sure I was using a genuine high-quality uSD card that is rated  Class 10 or higher.

Thank you again, I perfectly understood.

The only think I cannot explain myself is why the same system worked perfectly before updating to moode 7 and now the extender give this failure.
As was mentioned in an earlier post it''s RaspiOS and Linux kernel that perform the boot process including detecting and loading the OS and kernel from the boot media. moOde uses kernel 5.4.77 and RaspiOS Lite 2020-12-04 (10.6). These versions are not likely to change unless there is a general need to do so for example to include a new kernel driver for an audio device or to fix a major bug.

You best bet would be to search or ask on the Raspberry Pi forum or in the Linux kernel issue tracker for anything relating to SDCard extenders. https://github.com/raspberrypi/linux/issues
Enjoy the Music!
moodeaudio.org | Mastodon Feed | GitHub