Thank you for your donation!

Cloudsmith graciously provides open-source package management and distribution for our project.

Problem: installing "monitor" (presence detection) additional to moode
Wink 
Hi,

I've tried to install "monitor" which is a bluetooth presence detection.

You can find the github-site here: "https://github.com/andrewjfreyer/monitor"

As "monitor" uses bluetooth, I expected some issues in the function, but installed it anyway.

there were no issues in function so far... BUT moode didn't start and "monitor" didn't start.... so no moode and no "monitor", because the Pi didn't boot. No Networkaccess no shh no nothing.....  Blush

Only way to get moode back to work, was to delete the SD Card and flash a backup.

The reason why I ask you guys is because I want to have several moode RaspiZeroW's incl. a presence detection for my smart home without having seperated Pi's.

So has anyone, any experience with the combination of mode and "monitor"?

Thanks in advance and regards,
Yarando!!!!
I really don't understand what the purpose of "monitor" is so please provide a usage scenario to facilitate a discussion.
Enjoy the Music!
moodeaudio.org | Mastodon Feed | GitHub
I have no knowledge of nor interest in this code but I suggest the OP review the Issues log for the monitor repo. It took me two minutes to peruse the README and then another minute to come across Bluetooth interrupts wifi signals on RPI, which includes the memorable line "[O]nce this tool was running, it was actually very difficult to get back into the device...."

Regards,
Kent
(02-06-2021, 01:57 PM)TheOldPresbyope Wrote: I have no knowledge of nor interest in this code but I suggest the OP review the Issues log for the monitor repo. It took me two minutes to peruse the README and then another minute to come across Bluetooth interrupts wifi signals on RPI, which includes the memorable line "[O]nce this tool was running, it was actually very difficult to get back into the device...."

Regards,
Kent

Hi, thanks for your reply.

If I get your suggestion right, you think it's about a BT / WiFi issue...

OK, that could be possible.... I got an installation on an other PiZeroW, but this one is connected via Ethernet, so this could be the reson why there are no problems.

So I've to get a BT Dongle first and give it an other try, right?

Thanks and regards,
Yarando
Why do need the "monitor" code and what exactly does it do?
Enjoy the Music!
moodeaudio.org | Mastodon Feed | GitHub
(02-06-2021, 03:02 PM)Yarando Wrote:
(02-06-2021, 01:57 PM)TheOldPresbyope Wrote: I have no knowledge of nor interest in this code but I suggest the OP review the Issues log for the monitor repo. It took me two minutes to peruse the README and then another minute to come across Bluetooth interrupts wifi signals on RPI, which includes the memorable line "[O]nce this tool was running, it was actually very difficult to get back into the device...."

Regards,
Kent

Hi, thanks for your reply.

If I get your suggestion right, you think it's about a BT / WiFi issue...

OK, that could be possible.... I got an installation on an other PiZeroW, but this one is connected via Ethernet, so this could be the reson why there are no problems.

So I've to get a BT Dongle first and give it an other try, right?

Thanks and regards,
Yarando

That certainly could be one problem but I stopped looking when I got to the first issue which seemed relevant. More broadly my suggestion is that your question is probably better answered by the folks on the monitor team, who are familiar with their software running on many different devices/systems, than by moOde devs/users who are focused on music systems and very unlikely to know anything about monitor.

Like Tim suggested, a usage scenario would be helpful as we try to understand why one would care about trying to combine the two. 

Regards,
Kent
(02-06-2021, 03:04 PM)Tim Curtis Wrote: Why do need the "monitor" code and what exactly does it do?

Hi Tim,

"monitor" is presence detection Software, based on Bluetooth detection and communicates with MQTT (i.e. for smart homes).
This should explain both questions, hopefully.

The 2nd reason why, is just to have only one RasPi running instead of several....

My "vision" is to have several moOde installations running in several rooms/levels of my house (i.e. Bathroom, living room, childrens rooms, badroom etc.). Nearly the same should exist for presantce detaction, so a combination should be the best solution.

Hope this answers your question.

regards Yarando.
(02-06-2021, 03:13 PM)TheOldPresbyope Wrote: That certainly could be one problem but I stopped looking when I got to the first issue which seemed relevant. More broadly my suggestion is that your question is probably better answered by the folks on the monitor team, who are familiar with their software running on many different devices/systems, than by moOde devs/users who are focused on music systems and very unlikely to know anything about monitor.

Like Tim suggested, a usage scenario would be helpful as we try to understand why one would care about trying to combine the two. 

Regards,
Kent

OK, got your point....

Just thought, it's better to ask here, because the moode system is a ready-to-use image and not a software to install on a "normal" Rasbian installation. Yes, I got that it bases on "light" image, but I was not sure if there are any other changes in the basic RasPi Image...

Anyway, Thanks for your support! 

I'll get a BT Dongle and I'll give it another try when I've some more free time, to do a little troubleshoot also....

regards,
Yarando
@Yarando

Yes, moOde is R-T-R and customizes Raspberry Pi OS Lite in many ways (see the build recipe for specifics) but without understanding monitor we have no idea how to point to "this" as the problem. Sorry.

I did think of a usage scenario. When I was still in the workforce, I would occasionally contrive a little prank on my boss. What better than to have the lights go up and moOde start playing "Hail to the Chief" whenever he walked into the conference room?

In my view, RPis and other SBCs are like M and M candies. You can never have too many!

Regards,
Kent

PS - No longer being in the workforce has nothing to do with the pranks. I retired!