Thank you for your donation!

Cloudsmith graciously provides open-source package management and distribution for our project.

Why expand file system?
I'm new to Moode (and asociated operating system), so please excuse me if I pose what might seem like a very simple question.

Why expand the file system? - option in system configuration.

I ask because in the log I see:
20210209 070135 Maintenance: Free disk space < 512M required for in-place updates

I am using a 16GB SD card on a Pi 4B.

Thanks,
Geoff

20220210209 070135 Maintenance: Free disk space < 512M required for in-place updates10209 070135 Maintenance: Free disk space < 512M required for in-place updates

20210209 070135 Maintenance: Free disk space < 512M required for in-place updates
The distributed image is chosen as a trade off between being large enough for the needs of moOde, but small enough so it isn't a massive download that takes ages to write to the SD. If you don't expand the file system, then you have "space" on your card that can't ever be used. In truth, moOde is unlikely to fill anything like 16GB unless you take to storing music on your SD but it might as well be available so log files, caches, any add-on scripts and what have you have room to breathe.
----------------
Robert
Thanks, so should I expand the file system, and is this something that you do once, and that's it?
...and is the message from the log significant?

Questions, questions,...

Geoff
Yes, the option to expand the file system is done once normally. That expanded space may be needed by an in-place moode update.

The downside to expanding the file system is bootup time, but with later Pi's this isn't an issue really.
This expansion of the root filesystem is now something which can be done automagically at first boot, thanks to the capability of adding a moodecfg.ini file in the filesystem in the boot partition. See the template file moodecfg.ini.default in the same directory.

Like the_bertrum says, it doesn't have to be done but it creates headroom you might discover you need later on. Usually I'm reminded I forgot to do it when I start an in-place update and it falls over.

It would seem like an 8GB uSD card is an ideal pick for current moOde---big enough to let moOde do all its normal things---small enough to be inexpensive and not making the owner feel like lots of space is going to waste. Trouble is, small-capacity cards are going the way of the Dodo bird. These days, I find myself using 16GB and 32GB cards because that's what I can find.

Regards,
Kent