Thank you for your donation!

Cloudsmith graciously provides open-source package management and distribution for our project.

Khadas Tone Board aka Tone1
Thanks to @liv_s I became aware that I had not updated the firmware on my original Khadas Tone Board to v2.0. I was still running with v1.04 dating from last spring.

<tl;dr>

This board continues to work with moOde after updating its firmware. However, once it's updated, you should go back to the MPD Config panel and set Tone1 as the output device, then reboot to clear out old string descriptors.

<background>

This upgrade does not affect the audio aspects of the board. Judging from posts on the Khadas Forum there were some bugs uncovered along the way to this release but the v2.0 firmware now appears solid---it continues to support playback of PCM and DSD material---the latter either directly or via DoP---and continues to support hardware volume control only of PCM material. 

However, the upgrade does make changes at the USB interface:
  • Khadas finally got around to registering themselves with the USB Implementer's Forum, Inc., and now use their assigned vendor ID 3353 rather than defaulting to the XMOS vendor ID 2252. (Registering costs USD5 000 so I can understand the initial reluctance.)
  • they changed the name of the mixer end-point, presumably to bring this board into alignment with their new Tone2 board.
They have gotten their new vendor ID accepted by the Linux kernel developers but the change hadn't yet propagated into the Raspberry Pi OS as of the release of moOde 7.0.1.

The effect of all this is:

1. If you do an lsusb from the command line in moOde 7.0.1 you'll see the new vendor id:product id with no text description.

Example:

Code:
pi@moodelr:~ $ lsusb
Bus 002 Device 002: ID 152d:1561 JMicron Technology Corp. / JMicron USA Technology Corp. JMS561U two ports SATA 6Gb/s bridge
Bus 002 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0003 Linux Foundation 3.0 root hub
Bus 001 Device 003: ID 3353:a001                            <<< THIS IS THE KHADAS BOARD
Bus 001 Device 002: ID 2109:3431 VIA Labs, Inc. Hub
Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub

2. If you look at the name of the mixer (e.g., using lsusb -v, or aplay -l, or alsamixer, etc.) you'll see it is now "Tone1 " where it used to be "Khadas Tone Control " [yes, there's a trailing blank in both strings]. The current moOde code has no difficulty with this change but one should reboot after setting Tone1 as the output device so the old text descriptor will be forgotten.

Regards,
Kent