Thank you for your donation!

Cloudsmith graciously provides open-source package management and distribution for our project.

IR Remote Control with Argon One and Harmony Elite
I've got an Argon One V2 Case (with built-in infrared) with Raspberry Pi 4B. I'm trying to use a Logitech Harmony Elite remote to control some basic functions in Moode (play, pause, next track).

I've Successfully loaded Argon One's IR scripts in SSH (argonone-ir).

Articles I've read recommend adding one of the following "Devices" to the Harmony Remote:
- Microsoft Kodi
- Raspberry Pi 4
- Flirc Kodi

Nothing I have done seems to yield any results; does anyone have any wisdom?

If this isn't possible, is it possible to remote control Moode over IP? (the Logitech Harmony Hub can control IP devices)
(02-28-2021, 02:39 PM)Lusayalumino Wrote: I've got an Argon One V2 Case (with built-in infrared) with Raspberry Pi 4B. I'm trying to use a Logitech Harmony Elite remote to control some basic functions in Moode (play, pause, next track).

I've Successfully loaded Argon One's IR scripts in SSH (argonone-ir).

Articles I've read recommend adding one of the following "Devices" to the Harmony Remote:
- Microsoft Kodi
- Raspberry Pi 4
- Flirc Kodi

Nothing I have done seems to yield any results; does anyone have any wisdom?

If this isn't possible, is it possible to remote control Moode over IP? (the Logitech Harmony Hub can control IP devices)

Sticking to the IR functionality, 
  • On the Harmony end, each time you press a button on the remote, a steam of infrared pulses (a pulsecode) is emitted by the IR transmitter. Those "Devices" you mention tell the remote what pulse streams to emit for each button press. I think of them as personalities.
  • On the moOde end, the IR receiver detects the stream of pulses. Some script, possibly argoneone-ir, but it could be lirc or something else, intercepts the receiver output and, based on the pulsecode, sends actionable commands to moOde.
We know the possible actionable moOde commands (see, for example, guides on this forum for using lirc or my guide for using a FLIRC device) but we don't know argonone-ir. I can't even find the Argon40 script on their website.

Bottom line: choose a personality [1], read our guides to get a feel for what you have to do to make moOde exercise the usual run/pause/next/prev and vol up/down, and fiddle with argonone-ir to get what you want. Or, forget about argonone-ir and use lirc instead.

WiFi-based control is intriguing but you'd have to know a lot more about the Harmony Elite in order to make it work with moOde (or even to determine that it can be done).

Regards,
Kent

[1] of your choices I'd suggest Microsoft Kodi because that's well documented on various websites.
Thanks for your help. Would this mean purchasing a lirc IR, or rather using the built-in Argon IR and configuring the Argon IR settings to align with lirc?
(02-28-2021, 10:15 PM)Lusayalumino Wrote: Thanks for your help. Would this mean purchasing a lirc IR, or rather using the built-in Argon IR and configuring the Argon IR settings to align with lirc?

To quote from the Wikipedia article, "LIRC is an open source package that allows users to receive and send infrared signals with a Linux-based computer system."

I have one of the original-style Argon One cases and never bothered to solder in an IR receiver. Seems to me I saw folks posting on the InterWeb™ that they had done so and were using lirc with it. 

I would think lirc would work with the preinstalled IR hardware in the new-style Argon One case but I imagine there's a Argon wiki/forum where you could ask.

Regards,
Kent

PS - Candidly, I wouldn't be surprised if the argnone-ir script is based on lirc. That's why I was looking on the Argon40 site for the script.
@TheOldPresbyope

Quote:PS - Candidly, I wouldn't be surprised if the argnone-ir script is based on lirc.

It is and there is good lirc info for the Argon case here..
https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewt...p?t=286230

With a success reported...
https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewt...0#p1824501
----------
bob
Thanks for the help; I'm going to give it a shot and will report back.