Thank you for your donation!

Cloudsmith graciously provides open-source package management and distribution for our project.

Connect Moode to Internet via Smartphone
I need a portable system to perform demos of speaker systems. It would be ideal to use Moode with Tidal anywhere, avoiding trading with the local WiFi provider. 

The first thing I thought about is carrying a 4g router, this provides WiFi Internet easily. 

But it would be much easier to use your smartphone to share the connection with Moode, but I'm not sure if you could simultaneously manage Moode on the same connection, I hope I explained this correctly. 

Has anyone ever tried this?

Regards
(03-07-2021, 09:08 AM)Edues Wrote: I need a portable system to perform demos of speaker systems. It would be ideal to use Moode with Tidal anywhere, avoiding trading with the local WiFi provider. 

The first thing I thought about is carrying a 4g router, this provides WiFi Internet easily. 

But it would be much easier to use your smartphone to share the connection with Moode, but I'm not sure if you could simultaneously manage Moode on the same connection, I hope I explained this correctly. 

Regards

Set your phone to provide a local hotspot, connect Moode.
Thanks Zootalaws, that's the first thing I tried, but no success, with two different smartphones, other devices connect to the new shared wifis, but Moode doesn't want to.

I'm not going to give it any more thought, I'll get a 4g router, and clone my current wifi network, that will make things easier.

Regards
(03-07-2021, 09:08 AM)Edues Wrote: ...

Yes, this will work, at least with the iPhone (running iOS 13.7) I just grabbed to do the test. The iPhone gets its mobile data via Verizon LTE. 

I enabled the personal hotspot function on the iPhone and set up a moOde player (actually 7.1.0 test release 3, but it should be similar to current 7.0.1 for this test) with the AP's SSID/PW. Rebooted the player and was then able to connect to it via the Safari browser on the phone using "moode.local" as the address.

Easy peasy. Just remember your moOde player will be unreachable by WiFi [1] if your phone isn't on, nearby, and running the AP function. For some phones the power drain of the AP may be a concern.

The 4G router should work fine too.

Regards,
Kent

[ETA [1] except of course via moOde's built-in AP function (which may require rebooting).