Thank you for your donation!

Cloudsmith graciously provides open-source package management and distribution for our project.

Solved: 24 bit Output to HDMI downsamples to 16 bit
Just for my own interest, what are people listening to that has more than two channels? I had a vinyl of "there's one in every crowd" that claimed is was quad back in the 80's, but never had any quad equipment to play it on. Since then I've never found any other music that isn't plain stereo. Is there a secret world of multichannel music that is passing me by?
----------------
Robert
Guns N Roses Blue Ray of Appetite for Destruction, Metallica Black Album DVD and Aerosmith Toys In The Attic SACD are three outstanding 6ch recording that are superior to the 2ch versions.  Also, those quad recording from the 1970s and 80s work great on a multichannel system.

Here is a list of some 6ch SACD, and there are also several Blu-ray and DVD that improve in the medium.

https://store.acousticsounds.com/c/10/Hy...annel_SACD
(10-01-2021, 07:56 AM)CoppolaVH Wrote: Guns N Roses Blue Ray of Appetite for Destruction, Metallica Black Album DVD and Aerosmith Toys In The Attic SACD are three outstanding 6ch recording that are superior to the 2ch versions.  Also, those quad recording from the 1970s and 80s work great on a multichannel system.

Here is a list of some 6ch SACD, and there are also several Blu-ray and DVD that improve in the medium.

https://store.acousticsounds.com/c/10/Hy...annel_SACD

Wow, I've looked over the edge and seen a world I never imagined.  I'll stay here with my stereo I think, I'm not much of a fan of multi-channel sound on films so thins would probably not be to my taste at all.  Amazing to see what's out there though.  Dave Brubeck's "Time Out" in surround sound?  Astounding!
----------------
Robert
Ah, yes, quadraphonic sound. I remember when the craze hit the audio stores in my hometown back in the early-1970s.

Some recordings sounded good and some had audible artifacts. For a while it was all gonzo stuff, like the 3D movies of the 1950s, made more for the wow factor than for an improved consumer experience.

The open-reel 4-track tape approach was clearly superior to the matrix-encoded LPs but tape recorders were more expensive than turntables and cartridges (not to mention harder to maintain) and the tapes weren't exactly cheap either. That market didn't last long.

Then there was the requirement for twice as many decent speakers and amplifiers and, for the audiophiles who weren't divorced yet, a spousal agreement that this extra gear could be shoved into the home listening room.

Regards,
Kent
LOL
Enjoy the Music!
moodeaudio.org | Mastodon Feed | GitHub
I have a couple of DTS 5.1 Music Discs. (Dvd Audio)

Sherly Crow - The Globe Sessions.
The Police - Every Breath You Take.
The Moody Blues - Days of Future Passed.

The Moody Blues sound rather good in surround sound.
I suspect the success or otherwise of this is all down to the engineer that does the remix. Which is also true of Stereo.
----------------
Robert
@the_bertrum   and those engineers are few and far between...and getting fewer as the years go by.

Nowadays it is all 'cookie-cutter-pump up the bass-max the levels-and let loose the dogs of decibels'  Engineers no longer listen to real instruments or acoustic spaces...they just 'imagine' their outputs and think that they, rather than the artists, are responsible for the 'mix'  lol.

Of course...many 'artists' wouldn't know their elbow from their.....hmmmm  I think I will stop now... :-)

And as an off topic question ...Wasn't "Sherly Crow"  (AKA Sheryl Crow) one of Michael Jackson's back up singers way back when ??

Edit.... My memory surprises me sometimes given the years of accumulated dross... :-)

Quote:Crow toured with Jackson as a backup singer from 1987-1989, Jackson was fresh from the success of his Bad album, and at the height of his fame.
----------
bob
Are there any news on the support of 24bit output via HDMI?

I have noticed that since April the kernel of Moodeaudio has been upgraded to version 6.1.21. I thought that maybe the problem was solved, because in some forums they were mentioning that this could be related to the version 5.x. However, after upgrading my Moodeaudio to the last release (8.3.6) with the new kernel, it still happens the same.

I have also tried the solution posted in some forums that consists of modifying the config.txt file to remove the options dtparam=audio=on and dtoverlay=vc4-fkms-v3d and adding dtoverlay=vc4-kms-v3d. But this only creates an alsa error when I try to reproduce any song.

So, has nobody managed to play 24 bits audio (without 16 bit decrease) using the HDMI output? To me it is a bit suprising, because the HDMI of the Raspi is the more versatile and economical way to output the audio towards an AVR (no extra layers are needed), which I am sure is one of the most common use cases of Moodeaudio.
(10-22-2023, 03:02 PM)jcucurull Wrote: Are there any news on the support of 24bit output via HDMI?

I have noticed that since April the kernel of Moodeaudio has been upgraded to version 6.1.21. I thought that maybe the problem was solved, because in some forums they were mentioning that this could be related to the version 5.x. However, after upgrading my Moodeaudio to the last release (8.3.6) with the new kernel, it still happens the same.

I have also tried the solution posted in some forums that consists of modifying the config.txt file to remove the options dtparam=audio=on and dtoverlay=vc4-fkms-v3d and adding dtoverlay=vc4-kms-v3d. But this only creates an alsa error when I try to reproduce any song.

So, has nobody managed to play 24 bits audio (without 16 bit decrease) using the HDMI output? To me it is a bit suprising, because the HDMI of the Raspi is the more versatile and economical way to output the audio towards an AVR (no extra layers are needed), which I am sure is one of the most common use cases of Moodeaudio.

Playing 24 bit audio WITHOUT the 16 bit decrease, (or without the 32 bit increase, for what matters) depends exclusively on the DAC and the properties it exposes.
My DAC for example 7is capable of S_16LE and S_32LE, so that MPD, when playing a 24 bit stream pads it to be in 32 bits.
Please note, also, that most probably there is no 24 bit DAC, as CPU architectures are powers of 2, and 24 isn't one of them.
A stream in 24 bits may have been thought so in order to save room on the disk, or bandwidth, but sending it to your DAC in 32 bits samples won't definitely degrade it.