Thank you for your donation!

Cloudsmith graciously provides open-source package management and distribution for our project.

Audio card questions
Question 
Hi everyone !

I'm new to the forum but I'm using Moode for (quite) long and besides some small NFS issues (similar to here or here), I'm very happy with this distribution!

I want to improve my sound quality as I'm about to buy a turntable (and amplifiers and speakers) and I have a couple of questions:

1. Would you recommend a RCA or SPDIF connection between the RPi3 and the amplifier? SPDIF seems less subject to interference
  2. If SPDIF, which HAT card would you recommand? The HiFiBerry Digi2 Pro seems interesting but I'll consider any other product
  3. What is the purpose of the 5V power supply connector on this same card? External power? If so, why?
  4. Would it be possible to plug my actual Waveshare 3.5' and this card on the same RPi3? Should I be concerned about possible interference since I use WiFi and Bluetooth?
Speaking about DAC/connection, I'm a little confused, despite my numerous readings on the internet over the past week: SPDIF carries digital data right? So technically, the Digi2 Pro is not a DAC, just another transmission mode? If so, my amplifier will do the digital/analog conversion using it's internal DAC right?

Sorry about my dummy questions but I like to understand what's going on and I am not an expert on this  (vast) subject Smile

Thank you in advance for your knowledgeable answers!

P.S: for any purpose, the amplifier I'm considering is the Yamaha MusicCast R-N803D
Since the Yamaha is a network streamer I'm not sure why you need Moode and the RPi at all?!
(05-03-2021, 06:03 PM)jonners Wrote: Since the Yamaha is a network streamer I'm not sure why you need Moode and the RPi at all?!

Good point and I also asked myself so here are a few some elements of response:
  • I may not choose this amplifier
  • I can modify it to fit my needs (control/security)
  • The Yamaha Android app is not apparently as simple as M.A.L.P (for example)
  • The amplifier does not incorporate NFS (I already have an NFS share on Proxmox LXC)
  • I've worked my ass off to get everything working properly so I'm not going to throw it away now (screen included Smile