Thank you for your donation!

Cloudsmith graciously provides open-source package management and distribution for our project.

Problem: Digital ouput on Creative USB Sound Card
Hi guys, I have been using moode audio with a Creative x-fi USB soundcard, which has analogue and digital (spdif) outputs. When I access MPD settings in moode, I have only the option of USB SoundBlaster HD, which uses the analogue output of my sound card. 
Is there any way to change the ouput to spdif?
I have to mention that when I connect the sound card to my Macbook, I have two ouputs to select, one for analogue, one for digital.
If it doesn't show up in the Output device list in MPD Config then it won't be possible to select it from within the UI.

I'd like to see how the device is explained by ALSA to see if it might be possible to code for it. Whats the output from the command below?

Code:
amixer -c2
Enjoy the Music!
moodeaudio.org | Mastodon Feed | GitHub
(05-05-2021, 10:26 PM)Tim Curtis Wrote: If it doesn't show up in the Output device list in MPD Config then it won't be possible to select it from within the UI.

I'd like to see how the device is explained by ALSA to see if it might be possible to code for it. Whats the output from the command below?

Code:
amixer -c2

Hi Tim,
Thanks for your answer. I have ran the command that you have sent me, and the ouput is the following: 
Code:
pi@moode:~ $ amixer -c2
Simple mixer control 'PCM',0                                                                                                    
 Capabilities: pvolume pswitch pswitch-joined                                                                                  
 Limits: Playback 0 - 128 Left - Front Right                                                                                    

Mono:                                                                                                                          
 Front Left: Playback 128 [100%] [0.00dB] [on]                                                                                  
 Front Right: Playback 128 [100%] [0.00dB] [on]                                                                                
 Capabilities: enum 'PCM Capture Source',0                                                                                      

Items: 'Mic' 'Line' 'Phonograph'                                                                                              
 Item0: 'Line'

I have to mention that when I run the command : aplay --list-devices, the output is the following :

Code:
pi@moode:~ $ aplay --list-devices                                                                                                
**** List of PLAYBACK Hardware Devices ****                                                                                      
card 0: b1 [bcm2835 HDMI 1], device 0: bcm2835 HDMI 1 [bcm2835 HDMI 1]                                                          
 Subdevices: 4/4                                                                                                                
 Subdevice #0: subdevice #0                                                                                                    
 Subdevice #1: subdevice #1                                                                                                    
 Subdevice #2: subdevice #2                                                                                                    
 Subdevice #3: subdevice #3                                                                                                    
card 1: Headphones [bcm2835 Headphones], device 0: bcm2835 Headphones [bcm2835 Headphones]                                      
 Subdevices: 4/4                                                                                                                
 Subdevice #1: subdevice #1                                                                                                    
 Subdevice #2: subdevice #2                                                                                                    
 Subdevice #3: subdevice #3                                                                                                    
card 2: HD [USB Sound Blaster HD], device 0: USB Audio [USB Audio]                                                              
 Subdevices: 0/1                                                                                                                
card 2: HD [USB Sound Blaster HD], device 1: USB Audio [USB Audio #1]                                                            
 Subdevices: 1/1                                                                                                                
card 2: HD [USB Sound Blaster HD], device 2: USB Audio [USB Audio #2]                                                            
 Subdevices: 1/1                                                                                                                

I see that here there are 3 devices listed under card number two, so I thought that one of these devices might be the one that I am looking for.
Amixer shows the output mixer name "PCM" and a multi-select for the 3 inputs Mic, Line, Phono. Its currently set to Line.
Aplay shows card2 has 3 devices 'USB Audio', 'USB Audio #1' and 'USB Audio #2'

What shows up in MPD Config's Output device dropdown?
Enjoy the Music!
(05-06-2021, 10:53 AM)Tim Curtis Wrote: Amixer shows the output mixer name "PCM" and a multi-select for the 3 inputs Mic, Line, Phono. Its currently set to Line.
Aplay shows card2 has 3 devices 'USB Audio', 'USB Audio #1' and 'USB Audio #2'

What shows up in MPD Config's Output device dropdown?

Hi Tim, 
This is the output of the MPD config:

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

You could try the following.

1. Edit /etc/alsa/conf.d/_deviceout.conf

Change hw:2,0 to plughw:2,1 or plughw:2,2

2. sudo systemctl restart mpd
Enjoy the Music!
(05-06-2021, 11:20 AM)Tim Curtis Wrote: You could try the following.

1. Edit /etc/alsa/conf.d/_deviceout.conf

Change hw:2,0 to plughw:2,1 or plughw:2,2

2. sudo systemctl restart mpd

Thanks a lot Tim , changing to plughw:2,1 solved the problem. You have a beer from me!
Cool