Thank you for your donation!

Cloudsmith graciously provides open-source package management and distribution for our project.

Tidal Master on MoOde Audio
WASAPI (Windows Audio Session API) is not a 'recording tool' per se --> https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows...dio/wasapi
(10-14-2020, 06:16 AM)CallMeMike Wrote: WASAPI (Windows Audio Session API) is not a 'recording tool' per se  -->  https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows...dio/wasapi

Thanks for the info Mike. I was trying to say Audacity. My mistake  Sad
(10-15-2020, 01:40 AM)kelseyj Wrote:
(10-14-2020, 06:16 AM)CallMeMike Wrote: WASAPI (Windows Audio Session API) is not a 'recording tool' per se  -->  https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows...dio/wasapi

Thanks for the info Mike. I was trying to say Audacity. My mistake  Sad

This is probably a question for an audacity forum
(09-27-2019, 01:38 PM)Tim Curtis Wrote: MQA is a patented, proprietary system with a restrictive license and required fees that have to be paid to use it. There are no implementations of MQA in Open Source audio players because it's illegal to do so. The purpose of the MQA system is to extract revenue from the recording, distribution and playback of music. It has nothing to do with quality because the format uses lossy compression.

The success of proprietary systems like MQA depends entirely on whether major companies in the music and audio electronics industry adopt the system and force it on consumers. This would require them to pay the MQA patent holder the required annual licensing fees, and yes, these fees would be passed on to the consumer in the form of higher prices. It's the listener that pays for systems like MQA.

Thankfully, Amazon adopted Open Source FLAC (100% lossless) for their HD Music service. This would appear to be a death sentence for MQA. There is simply no need anymore for any company to adopt it.
I appreciate your software product and I understand your pride in it.
However, having followed this forum and installed Moode multiple times, I am baffled by your complete animosity toward a single CODEC, MQA here.
I get that you don't intend to directly support it, but is it necessary to bash it continuously? And why not support a passthrough capability?
I have been a Tidal and Qobuz subscriber from their beginnings. Both are good, but since I got a DAC that supports MQA, I almost never go back to Qobuz.
And yes, that is my problem. I get that. 
But no one is asking you to love MQA. There are a LOT of other proprietary and arbitrary codecs and transcoders out there.
Why not at least allow it to passthrough, so some of us with MQA capable DACs can get the value out of them?
Thanks for MoOde!
I don't know what you mean by "support it" or "passthrough". There is no Open Source implementation of MQA because it's a proprietary DRM component.
Enjoy the Music!
moodeaudio.org | Mastodon Feed | GitHub
Sorry, i posted on wrong thread. I reported to moderator.
hi, just my 2 cents
actually moOde does not alter what it receives thru upnp, it does “pass through” MQA decoding already. i.e. if you have an MQA full decoder (you need a full decoder, MQA renderer will not work unless you are able to stream the output of a MQA core decoder), you would be able to stream and play MQA file/stream using moOde.

I have tried both MQA file and Tidal Masters, in both cases my DAC is able to recognize the input thru USB is an MQA-encoded stream

moOde version: 7.1.0
hardware: Raspberry Pi 4B w/ 4GB RAM
DAC: ifi Neo DSD

The following setups have been tested and MQA is working fine:
1. Tidal in mconnect Player Lite on iPad Pro --upnp--> moOde --USB--> DAC
2. MQA file served by minidlna on Linux --upnp--> moOde --USB--> DAC
3. Tidal in BubbleUPnP on Android --upnp--> moOde --USB--> DAC (some tracks won't work, no idea why)
4. Tidal in mconnect Player Lite on Android --upnp--> moOde --USB--> DAC

Hope this helps
I've updated Moode to last version. It works fine (thanks Tim). The question however, is about Tidal. I'm a subscriber and use it mainly from mConnectLite app on my iPhone mobile. I select TIDAL from the source, and the use moodeUpNP as player. In the app is still present the moode renderer, and below it I can see the entry "Tidal". I suppose this appear because I've configured the TIDAL account in the UpnP configuration page of Moode (adding username, pwd and streaming quality). But if I try to use the app in this way, "myMusic" is empty. I remember some months ago a discussion about the upmpdcli library and the token noy anymore made "public" by TIDAL. If nothing changes from those times, why the TIDAL configuration panel is still present in Moode ?
Here investigating Tidal,  one month free HIFI subscription.

Raspberry PI 4 & HifiBerrt Digi+pro & MoodeAudio 7 & Hi-Res certified speaker.

I have been reading full post, internet research and other forums. For me it's clear that Tidal DRM and MQA is the problem.

Tidal is a business but they are too avaric. There aren't only invoicing for the service (that's fine) but also to HW manufacturer and SW developers for the availibility to play their music in their devices. The second in my opinion is abusive. I believe and I hope Tidal will subreshly fail in their strategy that is old fashion.

They are expecting to pay 20€/month for Hifi + specific HW MQA enabled (canon for manufacturer). In Android Master quality change to CD Quality when playing with BulbleUpn. Make no sense to pay for Master in a mobile if you can't connect to Hi-Res equipment since source to speaker.

The world is full of alternatives, we shouldn't help them in their strategy. Clients are who will decide. I share the approach here of Moode's developers not supporting activly Tidal/MQA.

I personally prefer to buy FLAC Master music directly and share with my friends.Like we were doing in 90's with Compac Disk.

I have also seen some "hacks" from some unknow binary source in order to do a "Connect device" in Raspberry that as soon as it become popular Tidal has change their SW to avoid it working. But if I pay and I need to do this kind of things I  perfer  to do like in 2000's sharing music with "a lot of friend" in Emule and donate some money to MoodeAudio that are free source code and fair.

Spotify works perfectly as "Connect" with premium accounts out of the box for example
Spotify is supposed to launch hi-fi loselesss service at the end of the year

When that happens Tidal will have to change and improve