Thank you for your donation!

Cloudsmith graciously provides open-source package management and distribution for our project.

Volume difference when playing DSD vs FLAC
Just downloaded the DSD as well as FLAC file. I noticed that when I play the DSD music file, the volume is very loud compare to when  I play  FLAC file. Is this normal or is there a setup setting for DSD vs Flac volume as I cannot play continuosly between DSD and FLAC files. One will be super loud when the player move from FLAC file to DSD file. Thanks
What audio device are u using?
Enjoy the Music!
moodeaudio.org | Mastodon Feed | GitHub
I am using RPi 4 into Toppings D10S to a tube amp. I did not do any tweaking on Moode 7.2.1, just leave as it is. I just copy FLAC and DSD music files into the SDRAM and played from there. Volume set on Moode is only 1% and on amplifier is only at 7 o'clock and the sound of DSD files will be very loud. When move to FLAC music, I hardly hear anything until I turn up the volume on Moode to 50% and amplifier to 11 o'clock. The diiference in loudness is too significant.
Maybe look at this post
http://moodeaudio.org/forum/showthread.p...3#pid33533
Enjoy the Music!
Hi Tim, Though I dont really understand what's going on but I just set the MPD volume to "Hardware" instead of software and Moode volume to 100%, it seemed to work well. So it seemed that for DSD music , if set to software, it automatically amplified the music? Is the sound quality compromise in using either software or hardware MPD volume control? Thanks again.
MPD does not support software volume for DSD files, so when u play those files with software volume, its playing with full volume.
(05-13-2021, 02:48 AM)Iamgilbert Wrote: Hi Tim, Though I dont really understand what's going on but I just set the MPD volume to "Hardware" instead of software and Moode volume to 100%, it seemed to work well. So it seemed that for DSD music , if set to software, it automatically amplified the music? Is the sound quality compromise in using either software or hardware MPD volume control? Thanks again.

If you are going to control volume downstream from moOde for example on your Amp then set Mixer type in MPD to Fixed (0dB). This will output 100% (bit-perfect) volume same as if Mixer type set to Hardware and moOde knob set to 100.
Enjoy the Music!
(05-13-2021, 06:37 AM)TookaFace Wrote: MPD does not support software volume for DSD files, so when u play those files with software volume, its playing with full volume.

Thanks for the info.
(05-13-2021, 10:07 AM)Tim Curtis Wrote:
(05-13-2021, 02:48 AM)Iamgilbert Wrote: Hi Tim, Though I dont really understand what's going on but I just set the MPD volume to "Hardware" instead of software and Moode volume to 100%, it seemed to work well. So it seemed that for DSD music , if set to software, it automatically amplified the music? Is the sound quality compromise in using either software or hardware MPD volume control? Thanks again.

If you are going to control volume downstream from moOde for example on your Amp then set Mixer type in MPD to Fixed (0dB). This will output 100% (bit-perfect) volume same as if Mixer type set to Hardware and moOde knob set to 100.

Thank You. I have set the MPD to fixed as advised and it work well.