Thank you for your donation!

Cloudsmith graciously provides open-source package management and distribution for our project.

Thread Closed 
Support for Hifiberry DAC 2HD
(08-22-2021, 02:38 AM)usery Wrote: Just finished a RPi 3b+ moOde 7.3.0 build with a HifiBerry DAC2 HD (the device name on the Hifiberry product datasheet).  I used the weirdly-named dtoverlay=hifiberry-dacplushd in the IS2 device config (maybe the Hfb devs were boxed-in by some previous naming convention?), completed the rest of setup, and I'm now playing back through the moOde UPnP renderer to a JDS Atom amp out to Sony IER-M9 iem's. As usual moOde setup was easy, reliable and pain-free.

Right out of the box I'm 'hearing'/perceiving a kinda squashed dynamic range from mids through highs - not what I expected from Hifiberry's "high end DAC" (their words). It's almost a 'veiled' or faintly muffled result to my ears. I tried a bunch of my own reference tracks so I'd know what to expect for this frequency range.  Soo the question: could lack of full integration with moOde account for this?  I haven't tried it with Volumio yet but will soon.

This morning I tried Volumio v2.970 UPnP renderer playback on the HifiBerry DAC2 HD - and there was no squashed/muffled effect. Mid- to high frequencies 'sounded' as I expected on my reference tracks: clear, well-defined, illuminated, 'range-y', whatever.  This is what I was hoping for from the HfB DAC2 HD. Of course, I had to put up with the crappy performance Volumio seems to have with UPnP renderer playback over wifi (the primary reason I switched to moOde). However in the end SQ trumps all for me so I will tolerate some pain for it.  Note I experience no such muffled/veiled effect on my moOde ApplePi or HifiBerry DAC+ Pro builds.

Next up for comparison on the DAC2 HD: HifiBerryOS.
I'm really not interested in hosting player comparison posts so If you are going to do them post in a general purpose audio forum like diyAudio.
Enjoy the Music!
moodeaudio.org | Mastodon Feed | GitHub