The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable - Line: 906 - File: showthread.php PHP 7.2.34 (Linux)
File Line Function
/showthread.php 906 errorHandler->error

Thank you for your donation!

Cloudsmith graciously provides open-source package management and distribution for our project.

Thread Closed 
Problem: Disappointing sound quality with Moode on Pi 3 B+ and USB DAC/amplifier
Helllo,
I am new in this forum since I have just started trying MoOde on my recently bought Raspberry Pi 3 B+, which should replace a Windows 10 notebook as digital music storage and player. So, this my actual configuration:

- Raspberry Pi 3 B+ alimented by an Akru 5 V 3 A power supplier bought on Amazon
- MoOde 7.2.1. The FLAC audio tracks are saved on a 128 Gb SDCard (SanDisk Extreme Pro)
- USB "direct digital" amplifier nuforce DDA-100 with its own power supply (you may have heard of it some years ago: it is a particular all digital amplifier which accepts USB, coaxial and optical inputs, it manage the signal all in a digital way until the last stage, where the signal becomes analogic - here is a review: http://www.tnt-audio.com/ampli/nuforce_dda100_e.html)
- Homemade cables and 8 Ohm impedence speakers

In spite of what I read on various threads, the audio quality I hear using the Raspberry Pi is inferior to the Windows 10 computer, using an old release of JRiver Media Center. I cannot identify what exactly the problem is, but all the frequencies (both basses, midrange and hihg) are a somewhat "out of control" (too much and dirty bass and midrange frequencies) and the sound becomes tiring, sometimes honestly annoying, in particular at high volumes. I still can hear well the single instruments and the spatial scene is not so compromised; there is not added noise or interference. My feeling is of a little distortion.
If I come back to the Windows 10/JRiver MC setup (using a USB 2.0 port), using the same USB cable, the sound is pleasant as always.

I tried some tweaks as changing bwtween 32/64 bits Moode OS, using SoX, underclock the system as suggested in Archimago's blog, changing USB_max_power setting 0/1 but I don't feel any significant change (except from a minimal improvement using SoX).
I wonder if the problem might be the Raspberry Pi USB ports quality or the management of the data streams between the Pi and the DDA-100 in MoOde. Could the Raspberry power supplier be the guilty (it is 5 V, not 5.1 V as the official data sheet recommends)?
If anyone experienced similar problems in his configuration or has any advices to try I would be grateful.

Thak you.

Messages In This Thread
Disappointing sound quality with Moode on Pi 3 B+ and USB DAC/amplifier - by H-Award.32 - 06-05-2021, 02:01 PM