Thank you for your donation!

Cloudsmith graciously provides open-source package management and distribution for our project.

Thread Closed 
Problem: Disappointing sound quality with Moode on Pi 3 B+ and USB DAC/amplifier
(06-05-2021, 08:11 PM)DRONE7 Wrote: What are you using to control volume ? Software/Hardware/Disabled in the audio settings ?

If using Disabled try lowering the maximum Alsa output volume in that setting...reduce by 6db to start and check.
Hardware, if available will be better than Software and if you have downstream volume control then Disabled may be an option. (Note the warnings if you use this.)

Symptoms do sound as though the input is being overdriven/clipped.

I tried to lower the ALSA maximum volume: at lower volume the saturation/distortion effect lowers, but in the same way it does by reducing the volume from the amplifier. Moreover the volume level is almost the same between the moode/raspberry and the JRiver/Windos laptop (in which volume level is also set to fixed value). So I dont't think this is the main issue. Morover there is not clipping.

I tried to supply the Raspberry with an other power supplier (a universal power supplier for notebooks, which also has a 5 V USB power output): maybe the sound is a little better, but it does not drastically improve.

So, I will now try to install on another SD card a different software, such as Volumio, and ear if there is any difference...

Messages In This Thread
RE: Disappointing sound quality with Moode on Pi 3 B+ and USB DAC/amplifier - by H-Award.32 - 06-06-2021, 09:05 PM