Thank you for your donation!

Cloudsmith graciously provides open-source package management and distribution for our project.

Instruction Guide Ripping Audio from DVD to FLAC
I have a few DVDs of live concerts from which I would like to rip the Audio to FLAC format to play with Moode. I tried using VLC to do this and although it created a single enormous FLAC file of the whole DVD, the file doesn't play properly on Moode. There seems to be a clocking problem and the result is a "motorboating" effect modulating the amplitude as well.

Question: What software do you use to do this? I already have Fre:ac installed to rip my CDs and find that it works perfectly for me.

Also, Is the Audio quality on DVDs up to the same quality as that on CD?

Thank you for reading. All opinions are welcome …
(06-12-2021, 07:50 PM)Wheel_nut Wrote: I have a few DVDs of live concerts from which I would like to rip the Audio to FLAC format to play with Moode. I tried using VLC to do this and although it created a single emrmous FLAC file of the whole DVD, the file doesn't play properly on Moode. There seems to be a clocking problem and the result is a "motorboating" effect modulating the amplitude as well.

Question: What software do you use to do this? I already have Fre:ac installed to rip my CDs and find that it works perfectly for me.

Try Goggling for "DVD Audio Extractor". around $39, IIRC.

Not sure whether it rips directly to FLAC. If it doesn't then dBPowerAmp (another $38) will take care of the conversion.
I found this "Free" DVD Ripper when googling for your suggested ripper. Does anybody have any experience with it? Is it safe to install?
https://www.free-dvd-ripper.net/tutorial...2_flac.php

Just browsing and came across this thread and I thought I might reply....

I have done loads of these both from DVD and Blu Ray. I use a program called MakeMKV to rip the discs to my hard drive. Then I load the .mkv file into Audacity (make sure you have the FFMpeg and mkv plugins. Trim the audio as desired and name/split into separate songs/tracks using ctrl-b and save as a FLAC.

I also amplify to -1 as well.

Both programs are free.

KR

CityCentreFox
I too would use Makemkv to rip the DVD.  Then extract the audio with ffmpeg.  
I'll add, Makemkv is (I think) not free.  It is freely available, but they do desire some compensation.  It's a great program -- worth the money.
(06-12-2021, 08:15 PM)suzywong Wrote:
(06-12-2021, 07:50 PM)Wheel_nut Wrote: I have a few DVDs of live concerts from which I would like to rip the Audio to FLAC format to play with Moode. I tried using VLC to do this and although it created a single emrmous FLAC file of the whole DVD, the file doesn't play properly on Moode. There seems to be a clocking problem and the result is a "motorboating" effect modulating the amplitude as well.

Try Goggling for "DVD Audio Extractor". around $39, IIRC.

Not sure whether it rips directly to FLAC. If it doesn't then dBPowerAmp (another $38) will take care of the conversion.
Hello,
I use "DVD Audio Extractor",too. And: YES, Flac is supported.
Best regards,
Francesco