Thank you for your donation!

Cloudsmith graciously provides open-source package management and distribution for our project.

Edimax ew-7811un v2 wifi ADAPTER support
I have bought Edimax ew-7811un for my two players which run RPI 4 4GB. The Moode 7.2.1 does not recognize the adapter and I found I had got the V2 adapters that have RTL8188EU. The V1 has RTL8188CU.
Does Moode support the above adapter? How could I get them to work with my players.
Thank you
(06-22-2021, 01:59 PM)kaushama Wrote: I have bought Edimax ew-7811un for my two players which run RPI 4 4GB. The Moode 7.2.1 does not recognize the adapter and I found I had got the V2 adapters that have RTL8188EU. The V1 has RTL8188CU.
Does Moode support the above adapter? How could I get them to work with my players.
Thank you

You're pretty much on your own.  You'll have to install your own driver. It should be simple:

https://edimax.freshdesk.com/support/sol...spberry-pi

Cheers,

Phil

I followed the instructions but something is wrong with the installation. It does not work. 

pi@moodeBR:~ $

Reading package lists... Done                                                                                                                          
Building dependency tree                                                                                                                               
Reading state information... Done                                                                                                                      
The following NEW packages will be installed:                                                                                                          
  raspberrypi-kernel-headers                                                                                                                           
0 upgraded, 1 newly installed, 0 to remove and 160 not upgraded.                                                                                       
Need to get 27.6 MB of archives.                                                                                                                       
After this operation, 180 MB of additional disk space will be used.                                                                                    
Get:1 http://archive.raspberrypi.org/debian buster/main armhf raspberrypi-kernel-headers armhf 1:1.20210527-1 [27.6 MB]
Fetched 27.6 MB in 32s (872 kB/s)
Selecting previously unselected package raspberrypi-kernel-headers.                                                                                    
(Reading database ... 68257 files and directories currently installed.)                                                                                
Preparing to unpack .../raspberrypi-kernel-headers_1%3a1.20210527-1_armhf.deb ...                                                                      
Unpacking raspberrypi-kernel-headers (1:1.20210527-1) ...                                                                                              
Setting up raspberrypi-kernel-headers (1:1.20210527-1) ...  

pi@moodeBR:~ $ ls /lib/modules/$(uname -r)
kernel         modules.alias.bin  modules.builtin.alias.bin  modules.builtin.modinfo  modules.dep.bin  modules.order    modules.symbols
modules.alias  modules.builtin    modules.builtin.bin        modules.dep              modules.devname  modules.softdep  modules.symbols.bin
pi@moodeBR:~ $ uname -a
Linux moodeBR 5.4.77-v7l+ #1371 SMP Tue Nov 17 13:35:27 GMT 2020 armv7l GNU/Linux    

pi@moodeBR:~ $ wget http://downloads.fars-robotics.net/wifi-...366.tar.gz
--2021-06-23 06:43:25--  http://downloads.fars-robotics.net/wifi-...366.tar.gz                                  
Resolving downloads.fars-robotics.net (downloads.fars-robotics.net)... 82.68.133.179                                                                   
Connecting to downloads.fars-robotics.net (downloads.fars-robotics.net)|82.68.133.179|:80... connected.                                                
HTTP request sent, awaiting response... 200 OK                                                                                                         
Length: 553419 (540K) [application/x-gzip]                                                                                                             
Saving to: ‘8188eu-5.4.74-v7l-1366.tar.gz’                                                                                                             

8188eu-5.4.74-v7l-1366.tar.gz         100%[========================================================================>] 540.45K  45.9KB/s    in 12s      

2021-06-23 06:43:38 (45.3 KB/s) - ‘8188eu-5.4.74-v7l-1366.tar.gz’ saved [553419/553419]                                                                

pi@moodeBR:~ $ tar xzf 8188eu-5.4.74-v7l-1366.tar.gz

pi@moodeBR:~ $ ./install.sh
sudo install -p -m 644 8188eu.ko /lib/modules/5.4.74-v7l+/kernel/drivers/net/wireless                                                                  
install: cannot create regular file '/lib/modules/5.4.74-v7l+/kernel/drivers/net/wireless': No such file or directory                                  
sudo depmod 5.4.74-v7l+                                                                                                                                
depmod: ERROR: could not open directory /lib/modules/5.4.74-v7l+: No such file or directory                                                            
depmod: FATAL: could not search modules: No such file or directory                                                                                     

Reboot to run the driver.                                                                                                                              

If you have already configured your wifi it should start up and connect to your                                                                        
wireless network.                                                                                                                                      

If you have not configured your wifi you will need to do that to enable the wifi.                                                                      
pi@moodeBR:~ $ sudo reboot

The installation of driver gives some error messages 

pi@moodeBR:~ $ ./install.sh

sudo install -p -m 644 8188eu.ko /lib/modules/5.4.74-v7l+/kernel/drivers/net/wireless                                                                  
install: cannot create regular file '/lib/modules/5.4.74-v7l+/kernel/drivers/net/wireless': No such file or directory                                  
sudo depmod 5.4.74-v7l+                                                                                                                                
depmod: ERROR: could not open directory /lib/modules/5.4.74-v7l+: No such file or directory                                                            
depmod: FATAL: could not search modules: No such file or directory   
What does the Edimax give you over the built in wireless in the RPi4 that warrants the hassle?
----------------
Robert
I use this one:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00J...UTF8&psc=1

It's a Ralink 5370 Wifi Dongle, and it worked straight out of the box - just plug in to Pi. I set integrated wifi adapter OFF in System Config.
I found that the internal wifi was not totally reliable - perhaps location, or fact that Pi is cased with Allo Boss HAT.
Anyway, the wifi dongle has worked a treat.

Regards,
Geoff
(06-23-2021, 07:10 AM)GStevens Wrote: I use this one:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00J...UTF8&psc=1

It's a Ralink 5370 Wifi Dongle, and it worked straight out of the box - just plug in to Pi.  I set integrated wifi adapter OFF in System Config.
I found that the internal wifi was not totally reliable - perhaps location, or fact that Pi is cased with Allo Boss HAT.
Anyway, the wifi dongle has worked a treat.

Regards,
Geoff

Hi @kaushama
You could try googling "Mr Engman WiFi install".  He used to maintain (still does I think) a nice script to run on your Pi that would check the kernel, and the adapter to see if there was a suitable driver for whatever chipset variant it reported, and then install it for you. I used it a few times successfully in the past when using cheapo noname wifi adapters that I had laying around.  But, as pointed out above, if you have the already supported built-in wifi on your Pi - why not use that?
Regards Adrian
I managed to install drivers and they work well now.

sudo apt install raspberrypi-kernel-headers
ls /lib/modules/$(uname -r)

wget http://downloads.fars-robotics.net/wifi-...371.tar.gz
tar xzf 8188eu-5.4.77-v7l-1371.tar.gz
./install.sh 
sudo reboot

As I use Argon 40 cases, internal WIFI reception is somewhat weaker. I wanted to try these as Comfast adapter cannot be found now. These work well and fit the cases well.
Thank you for all your help.