Thank you for your donation!

Cloudsmith graciously provides open-source package management and distribution for our project.

Slow and unresponsive UI-Solution that worked for me
This is my first post so bear with me.

I've read quite a few threads on the above subject with very little success but finally resolved my problem. My current setup is a RPI2b v1.2 with a JustBoom DAC HAT and the latest release of MoOde Audio 7x. My original problem was the noise of the USB2 1TB disk drive spinning through the DAC HAT and into the amp/speakers. I swapped the USB2 1TB disk drive out for a different model and this resolved the extraneous noise. All quiet again. Both of theses drives were powered externally.

In both cases I had a 60gb music library with 7500 songs and the UI was practically unusable. In a last attempt to resolve this issue I transferred the library to a Sandisk 128gb USB stick and powered up the RPI again. It was a night and day experience performance wise. For maximum performance I'd highly recommend a USB stick for anyone playing their own library of music.I couldn't recommend MoOde Audio enough.Nice work guys.
That's excellent that you've found a way to get rid of the 'noise'... but bear in mind that 'noise' was very likely generated by your power arrangement for feeding 5VDC to the RPi, HAT DAC and the external HDD... or, simply, the external storage's PSU may be of poor quality or just faulty...
I use a 1TB disc drive powered through a USB hub. It's about 80% full and I've never had problems with the UI. So I'm inclined to agree with @CallMeMike
1045 albums
6601 songs
3 pendrives 60gb, 60gb, 32 gb
no problems on rpi3b
(06-25-2021, 05:55 AM)CallMeMike Wrote: That's excellent that you've found a way to get rid of the 'noise'... but bear in mind that 'noise' was very likely generated by your power arrangement for feeding 5VDC to the RPi, HAT DAC and the external HDD... or, simply, the external storage's PSU may be of poor quality or just faulty...

Funny thing but that USB drive works perfectly well via an RPI3b+ feeding a Cambridge Audio Dac Magic via USB. I've quite a few USB drive options I can swap in to see what results I get. I had a spare RPI2 and got the Just Boom DAC hat to test the DAC HAT option from an integrated point of view. Prior to swapping in a USB flash stick I was about to move on from MoOde Audio owing to the UI issue I was experiencing but now I'm glad I persisted. The UI is working at lighting speed via the Iphone which is another big plus.
(06-25-2021, 07:47 AM)jonners Wrote: I use a 1TB disc drive powered through a USB hub. It's about 80% full and I've never had problems with the UI. So I'm inclined to agree with @CallMeMike

I've a decently sized library or so I thought Cool . I'm in the process of re-ripping to AIFF so I'll definitely need a larger capacity storage at some stage. I've a lot of USB drives lying about so I'll check them out first before going down the "new buy" route.
(06-25-2021, 02:44 PM)Mr.R0b0t Wrote: 1045 albums
6601 songs
3 pendrives 60gb, 60gb, 32 gb
no problems on rpi3b

Practically the same size library as my own so it comfortably fits on the Sandisk Cruzer 128gb stick I'm using now and everything is working away beautifully. I was suitably impressed with the Just Boom DAC HAT delivery of 24bit 192khz FLAC files too.
(06-25-2021, 06:29 PM)musicstream Wrote:
(06-25-2021, 07:47 AM)jonners Wrote: I use a 1TB disc drive powered through a USB hub. It's about 80% full and I've never had problems with the UI. So I'm inclined to agree with @CallMeMike

I've a decently sized library or so I thought Cool . I'm in the process of re-ripping to AIFF so I'll definitely need a larger capacity storage at some stage. I've a lot of USB drives lying about so I'll check them out first before going down the "new buy" route.

Why choose a proprietary format like AIFF? Confused
Twenty years an iPod user, It’s the last time I’m ripping my collection and from AIFF if ever decide to change format it can be done easily. Most importantly for me though I love the playback quality.
for me 60-70% is flac and no problems