Thank you for your donation!

Cloudsmith graciously provides open-source package management and distribution for our project.

Easiest way to access music files on ext. USB HDD over network?
Hi there!

Can anybody please kick me in the right direction on how to easily access music files on ext. USB HDD over network? Been looking for some SMB / Samba share thing but couldn't find it. I can't imagine that this is intended, must be somewhere.
(06-28-2021, 04:42 PM)RikRokk Wrote: Hi there!

Can anybody please kick me in the right direction on how to easily access music files on ext. USB HDD over network? Been looking for some SMB / Samba share thing but couldn't find it. I can't imagine that this is intended, must be somewhere.

Hi RikRokk,

Configure / Library / Music source / CREATE

Here you can select between Samba, NFS and UPnP

Hope, this helped

Oliver
Quote:Configure / Library / Music source / CREATE

Hey Oliver,
this looks like the place to connect the RPi/moode with Music stored on a NAS etc. over network. What I've been looking for is the possibility to make a USB HDD (containing my music), which is directly connected to my moode-RPi accessible via the RPi for other machines in the network.

Got an idea on that?
(06-30-2021, 01:53 PM)RikRokk Wrote:

Hey Oliver,
this looks like the place to connect the RPi/moode with Music stored on a NAS etc. over network. What I've been looking for is the possibility to make a USB HDD (containing my music), which is directly connected to my moode-RPi accessible via the RPi for other machines in the network.

Got an idea on that?

@RikRokk

So I'm guessing you haven't actually looked at your "Network neighborhood" lately. Out of the box, a moOde player offers publishes the following SMB shares: NAS, Playlists, Radio, SDCard, and USB storage units you've added. You should be able to reach them from any SMB-capable host on your LAN. They are "owned" by user pi with the usual password.

Regards,
Kent
(06-30-2021, 01:53 PM)RikRokk Wrote:

Hey Oliver,

Got an idea on that?

Sorry, I misunderstood you question. As Kent already wrote, MoOde provides the attached usb drive ootb as a SMB share. He also wrote, the share is owned by the user pi, but on my Mac I'm not able to connect with the same user/password, I use for ssh. I can only connect as 'Guest', but this is fine, because I can add/delete all files on the share, so no problem for me.

Oliver
Oops. Oliver is correct. The shares are marked "guest ok = yes" in the samba configuration file. I was thinking of something else when I wrote about ownership. Sorry.

Regards,
Kent