Thank you for your donation!

Cloudsmith graciously provides open-source package management and distribution for our project.

64-Bit image
Hello all,

this question has most likely been answered many times before...

Could someone provide me with a link/URL to the latest Moode 64 bit image download?

I have scoured git and this forum but cannot find any relevant links.

Any pointers/tips much appreciated.

Regards,

Ry
(07-04-2021, 03:13 PM)Ry_Darcy Wrote: Hello all,

this question has most likely been answered many times before...

Could someone provide me with a link/URL to the latest Moode 64 bit image download?

I have scoured git and this forum but cannot find any relevant links.

Any pointers/tips much appreciated.

Regards,

Ry

There is none but why would you care? The existing moOde image is working just fine and 64-bit RaspiOS itself is still volatile as it is available only in beta form from the Raspberry Pi Foundation.

If you are truly eager you can build a pure 64-bit moOde image yourself but it won't be supported.

FYI - I did this myself as an experiment last year  and reported my progress to the team. A lot of adjustments to the moOde build script are necessary and in some cases different packages are required but you can get most of the way there if you try hard enough.

And, no, I'm not going to publish a HowTo. If I did, I'd own the support problem. Rolleyes

Just my 2-cents worth.

Regards,
Kent
Appreciate the information.

I am not a stranger to building kernels, but I do not have the time at the moment. Perhaps later.*
I will stick with the 31-bit version for the moment.

Regards,

Ry

* If I ever get around to building a 64-bit Moode kernel with all of the bells and whistles, I will write a mini howto.

PS I have been running the 64-bit RaspiOS version (currently 5.10.46-v8+) for 9 months now with no issues.
I was a life-long researcher who believes in the "null hypothesis" approach to making changes---a fancy way of saying one has actually to prove that making some change was beneficial. I have yet to see compelling evidence that going to a pure 64-bit moOde is beneficial.

But that's just me and my pessimistic nature.

Building a 64-bit kernel for the Raspberry Pi is pretty easy. The RPF provides nice tooling for cross-compiling on Intel/AMD Linux systems that makes the build process go fast (e.g., less than an hour on an old i7 box of mine). 

I don't know what kernel bells and whistles you are alluding to. IMO the biggest challenge is proving all the audio-related kernel modules are 64-bit clean. Traditionally, latent coding errors crawl out of the woodwork when source code developed for a 32-bit system is recompiled to 64-bit and linked to 64-bit libraries. That's especially true for hardware drivers where often contract developers were involved.

Of course, moOde already offers a 64-bit kernel on an experimental basis and we continue to stumble over niggly problems.

Beyond the kernel, the entire moOde root file system has to be ported. As part of that, the moOde build recipe and the moOde builder scripts have to be adjusted to accommodate both 32-bit and 64-bit builds. This is because some RPi models contain ARMv6 CPUs and can't run a 64-bit OS. Until they are phased out, two moOde images and potentially two parallel support efforts will be required. This makes the effort look different to Tim and his merry band of helpers than it does to an individual.

'nuff said. Have fun, be sure to brew a large pot of coffee before you start, and don't forget to enjoy the music Smile

Regards,
Kent
(07-05-2021, 12:56 PM)TheOldPresbyope Wrote: Kent,

appreciate the information. I am aware of what you are saying and appreciate the effort(s) and dedication that has taken this project this far.
I will report back on progress when I get the time and resources.

Regards,

Ry

I was a life-long researcher who believes in the "null hypothesis" approach to making changes---a fancy way of saying one has actually to prove that making some change was beneficial. I have yet to see compelling evidence that going to a pure 64-bit moOde is beneficial.

But that's just me and my pessimistic nature.

Building a 64-bit kernel for the Raspberry Pi is pretty easy. The RPF provides nice tooling for cross-compiling on Intel/AMD Linux systems that makes the build process go fast (e.g., less than an hour on an old i7 box of mine). 

I don't know what kernel bells and whistles you are alluding to. IMO the biggest challenge is proving all the audio-related kernel modules are 64-bit clean. Traditionally, latent coding errors crawl out of the woodwork when source code developed for a 32-bit system is recompiled to 64-bit and linked to 64-bit libraries. That's especially true for hardware drivers where often contract developers were involved.

Of course, moOde already offers a 64-bit kernel on an experimental basis and we continue to stumble over niggly problems.

Beyond the kernel, the entire moOde root file system has to be ported. As part of that, the moOde build recipe and the moOde builder scripts have to be adjusted to accommodate both 32-bit and 64-bit builds. This is because some RPi models contain ARMv6 CPUs and can't run a 64-bit OS. Until they are phased out, two moOde images and potentially two parallel support efforts will be required. This makes the effort look different to Tim and his merry band of helpers than it does to an individual.

'nuff said. Have fun, be sure to brew a large pot of coffee before you start, and don't forget to enjoy the music Smile

Regards,
Kent