Thank you for your donation!

Cloudsmith graciously provides open-source package management and distribution for our project.

Settings for newer eBay dual ES2023 Dac?
Hi all,

I'm trying to set up a player using one of the newer dual ES9023 players on eBay:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/363437231123?_t...%7Ciid%3A1

Unit powers up and the system otherwise is normal, got the library updated, etc., but the I try to play from the library, I get "Failed to decode...Failed to open...Permission denied" When trying to play the stereo test track on the SD card I get "MPD error...Failed to open ALSA device."

DAC is getting power--light is on.

The seller does not list a device profile to use, so I have tried all the ES9023 devices and also the normal and generic versions of HiFiBerry, as I found someone selling the board elsewhere who recommended the HiFiBerry setting for Volumio.

Because the board doesn't have an identifiable name or number, it's very hard to search online for it. 

I assume the problem of playing the files and the lack of a proper profile are related, but I'm not sure. Have set these up several times, so I think I have done things correctly outside of that DAC.

RPi 3B+, Moode 7.3.0, mystery dual ES9023 DAC

Any thoughts or experience with this newer piece of hardware?

--Buckapound
What does the manufacturer/instructions tell you do?
Normally with a hat board it'd be a case of adding an overlay to /boot/config.txt
Reboot and then run the command below. If the dtoverlay specified in /boot/config.txt is the correct one for the board and the board is not defective then you should see "...i2s mapping ok" in the kernel startup log.,

This is for an Allo Boss2
Code:
pi@rp2:~ $ dmesg | grep i2s
[    6.358113] asoc-audio-graph-card soc:sound: allo-cs43130 <-> fe203000.i2s mapping ok
Enjoy the Music!
moodeaudio.org | Mastodon Feed | GitHub
(07-09-2021, 06:32 PM)Tim Curtis Wrote: Reboot and then run the command below. If the dtoverlay specified in /boot/config.txt is the correct one for the board and the board is not defective then you should see "...i2s mapping ok" in the kernel startup log.,

This is for an Allo Boss2
Code:
pi@rp2:~ $ dmesg | grep i2s
[    6.358113] asoc-audio-graph-card soc:sound: allo-cs43130 <-> fe203000.i2s mapping ok

OK, gave it a shot. Enable SSH > login, pw OK, got to command line terminal. 

Typed in the above and got this message:

-bash: -: No such file or directory                                                 
sudo: pi@rp2:~: command not found   

Tried it both with "sudo" before and without. Same results.

Also tried the Allo Boss2 setting in configure>audio.

I admit I have no experience whatsoever with Linux or command line stuff. 

Anybody know what I'm doing wrong?
In Audio Config set the I2S "Named device" to Generic-1 I2S (hifiberry-dac). I don't know if this is the correct driver for your particular board but this is the driver that works with my Mamboberry LS which is an ES9023 based board.

Reboot and then enter the command below.

Code:
dmesg | grep i2s
Enjoy the Music!
moodeaudio.org | Mastodon Feed | GitHub
(07-10-2021, 02:31 PM)Tim Curtis Wrote: In Audio Config set the I2S "Named device" to Generic-1 I2S (hifiberry-dac). I don't know if this is the correct driver for your particular board but this is the driver that works with my Mamboberry LS which is an ES9023 based board.

Code:
dmesg | grep i2s
I really appreciate your help, Tim. 

I set the i2s device as you said, and logged in, and typed exactly what you put here, then hit return. It went to the next line with the same prompt--I don't know if it was supposed to acknowledge or do anything else. 

Restarted again, and the (mamboberry) "generic i2s" shows up. However, I'm stuck in the "configure" screens, with no apparent means of getting back to the normal playing screens. Sometimes, a large gray square with "Moode" on it shows up, then I get a "reconnect" prompt, but it always goes back to the configure. Ive restarted several times, including a manual power down and re-start.

So, obviously something is wrong. Don't know if I should have preceded the command with "sudo." Don't know whether I was supposed to restart right after.

I have to say I'm extremely frustrated by my helplessness. I'm pretty good at design and metalwork and adequate at soldering, but a programmer I am not. So, I hate to keep screwing this up in ways I cannot understand and that require hand-holding. I do really appreciate your patience with me. 

So what do I do now? Start over with a fresh SD card?
(07-14-2021, 01:36 AM)buckapound Wrote:
(07-10-2021, 02:31 PM)Tim Curtis Wrote: In Audio Config set the I2S "Named device" to Generic-1 I2S (hifiberry-dac). I don't know if this is the correct driver for your particular board but this is the driver that works with my Mamboberry LS which is an ES9023 based board.

Code:
dmesg | grep i2s
I really appreciate your help, Tim. 

I set the i2s device as you said, and logged in, and typed exactly what you put here, then hit return. It went to the next line with the same prompt--I don't know if it was supposed to acknowledge or do anything else. 

Restarted again, and the (mamboberry) "generic i2s" shows up. However, I'm stuck in the "configure" screens, with no apparent means of getting back to the normal playing screens. Sometimes, a large gray square with "Moode" on it shows up, then I get a "reconnect" prompt, but it always goes back to the configure. Ive restarted several times, including a manual power down and re-start.

So, obviously something is wrong. Don't know if I should have preceded the command with "sudo." Don't know whether I was supposed to restart right after.

I have to say I'm extremely frustrated by my helplessness. I'm pretty good at design and metalwork and adequate at soldering, but a programmer I am not. So, I hate to keep screwing this up in ways I cannot understand and that require hand-holding. I do really appreciate your patience with me. 

So what do I do now? Start over with a fresh SD card?
Fresh card, set to the generic i2s (HiFi Berry).

Playing the Stereo test file on the SD card. So on my way hopefully.
(07-14-2021, 02:57 AM)buckapound Wrote: Fresh card, set to the generic i2s (HiFi Berry).

Playing the Stereo test file on the SD card. So on my way hopefully.

Could you come back and share your findings please.

What works and what doesn;t work?

What was your setup configuration that made it work?