Thank you for your donation!

Cloudsmith graciously provides open-source package management and distribution for our project.

Pifi Digi+ v1.0 compatibility and i2S settings
Greetings All, 
 I have recently gotten a Pifi Digi+ v1.0 S/PDIF hat for my RPI 4 (2GB) running MoOde 7.3. The Pifi HAT is supposed to be a clone of sorts of a Hifiberry digi+ from what I understand, but I'm uncertain of the quality or true compatibility. It was my only reasonable option at the moment here in India (although I just discovered a vendor for Allo products). In the i2S settings under " named device", I've tried everything from Hifiberry Digi+ to pro, but I consistently, after reboot and attempted playback, get the MPD error "failed to open ALSA default (alsa), Failed to open ALSA device, '_audioout' No such fileor directory". Any help on this would be much appreciated.
Try the  HIFI Digi or HIFI Digi+
----------
bob
(07-21-2021, 09:27 AM)DRONE7 Wrote: Try the  HIFI Digi or HIFI Digi+

Thanks, unfortunately no luck and recieving the same errors
Two things to try...
1) reseat the PiFi+  and try again with the HiFiberry Digi+ or HiFiDigi+  (The first should work as other PiFi hats seem to use the HiFiBerry dtoverlay)

2) reboot and post the output from startup log..
Code:
moodeutl -l
----------
bob
(07-21-2021, 08:59 PM)DRONE7 Wrote: Two things to try...
1) reseat the PiFi+  and try again with the HiFiberry Digi+ or HiFiDigi+  (The first should work as other PiFi hats seem to use the HiFiBerry dtoverlay)

2) reboot and post the output from startup log..
Code:
moodeutl -l

Just saw this message and thanks for this. Update is that suddenly the HAT lit up and started working. Hifiberry Digi + was the chosen I2S. What confounds me is that i spent the better half of a yesterday doing every permutation of reseating the HAT, testing every plausible I2S option, and even the order of plugging each input. I must have restarted the rpi 30 times. I ended up packing the board up and putting it away. Today i find myself with a spare moment and try again, not even taking care to place the HAT in its tightest position. Power it on and it works perfectly. Delighted by the subtle enhancement of the SQ that i'm perceiving, but afraid to touch the damn thing in case it goes unresponsive again!
Quote:suddenly the HAT lit up and started working

Interesting... this indicates the HAT was not lit up previously ? It should light up irrespective of what is selected for the i2s driver and if it isn't then that would point to a power issue and possibly faulty connections between the Pi and HAT.
If it happens again and you have a multimeter you could check if the HAT or the Pi is at fault by measuring the relevant GPIO pins.
----------
bob