Thank you for your donation!

Cloudsmith graciously provides open-source package management and distribution for our project.

Problem: Hearing Problems
I have always suffered from poor hearing, but just lately I have noticed hearing from my left ear has got worst. Are there any settings in moOde I can use to give the left channel a boost. Thanks.
You can adjust via alsa by ssh into MoOde and ...

[*]Enter "alsamixer" and press the Enter key.
[*]You will now see a user interface. In this user interface, you can do the following:
  • Select your correct sound card using F6 and select F5 to see recording controls as well
  • Move around with left and right arrow keys.
  • Increase and decrease volume with up and down arrow keys.
  • Increase and decrease volume for left/right channel individually with "Q", "E", "Z", and "C" keys.
  • Mute/Unmute with the "M" key. An "MM" means muted, and "OO" means unmuted. Note that a bar can be 100% full but still be muted, so do check for this.
  • Exit from alsamixer with the Esc key.
[*]

You should decrease one channel rather than increasing the other as that may lead to clipping.
Then just adjust the overall output volume through your normal volume control.

Try that.... it won't survive a reboot but if it works for you it can be made permanent..with...
Code:
sudo alsactl store
----------
bob
(07-23-2021, 08:32 AM)kit1cat Wrote: I have always suffered from poor hearing, but just lately I have noticed hearing from my left ear has got worst. Are there any settings in moOde I can use to give the left channel a boost. Thanks.

I'm sorry you are experiencing hearing loss.  It is almost certain that the loss varies by frequency, suggesting that equalization could be at least as important a compensation method as boosting the relative volume for the left ear.  I recommend going to an audiologist to get data on how the loss varies by frequency, allowing you to compensate through EQ accordingly.  If that is not possible, there are self-administered online tests that might be able to help (I don't have specific URLs to share, but you could Google them).

Good luck.
Cheers,
  Miss Sissy Princess
Try CamillaDSP

1. Set the configuration to flat
2. OPEN the Pipeline editor (Status = ON)
3. Click the Mixer tab
4. Adjust the gains on each channel and then click "Apply to CDSP" button to hear the change
5. Back arrow and then SAVE the flat config
Enjoy the Music!
moodeaudio.org | Mastodon Feed | GitHub
@kit1cat

Putting moOde considerations aside, I'd urge you to visit an audiologist or even an otolaryngologist if you're noticing a change in hearing, especially if it is asymmetric. You want to make sure there isn't an underlying condition which requires treatment.

Regards,
Kent
Thanks for info and suggestions guys, I will give it ago. I already use a Schiit Loki for EQ, great for adjusting EQ on the fly, I do find one EQ setting does not suit all. I visited an audiologist a couple of years back and have a pair of hearing aids for general use, but don't like wearing them while listening to music.
Can confirm that Tim's suggestion to use CamillaDSP worked, but I have returned to using the balance control on my amp which I can adjust on the fly. I find the balance control is a bit like EQ were one setting does not suit all.