Thank you for your donation!

Cloudsmith graciously provides open-source package management and distribution for our project.

SMB vs DLNA
My audio files are located on a Windows 10 server.
Moode is running on a USBBridge sig

What are the differences (advantages/disadvantages) between an SMB connexion  the DNLA connexion ?

How can I wake up automatically my Windows 10 server when using moode ?

thank you
(07-23-2021, 09:11 AM)Facel Wrote: My audio files are located on a Windows 10 server.
Moode is running on a USBBridge sig

What are the differences (advantages/disadvantages) between an SMB connexion  the DNLA connexion ?

How can I wake up automatically my Windows 10 server when using moode ?

thank you

Interesting. I think you are the first moOde user to mention the Windows 10 built-in UPnP/DLNA media server.

I suggest you try both services and see which one you prefer. There should be no difference musically. 

<personal prejudice>
- I don't like having to use a separate UPnP/DLNA control point application. 
- While moOde's UPnP Media Browser application works, using it is too fiddly for my taste.
- I don't have any other UPnP/DLNA components so I don't need any UPnP/DLNA services.
</personal prejudice>

In any case, since Windows 10 can serve files both ways, you can mix and match.

As for your second question, I don't know what is meant by "wake up automatically my Windows 10 server" but it sounds like a question for a different forum since it's about Windows 10. Once you can tell us what the protocol is for "waking" your server we can say whether moOde is or could be made capable of it.

Regards,
Kent
There are many DLNA solutions running on Windows 10.

Musically I agree that DLNA or SMB should lead to the same result.

My 1st question was much more about the user experience in terms of speed, gapless playback, stability, ease of use.. etc

My 2nd question should have been more precise.
When my Windows server is asleep, instead  of running a fisrt application on my Phone (or on another PC) in order to wake up my Windows server, and then open the moode web page as control point, could it be possible to have a wakeup command button on the moode webpage ?
(07-23-2021, 02:12 PM)Facel Wrote: My 1st question was much more about the user experience in terms of speed, gapless playback, stability, ease of use.. etc

If you intend using the moOde interface as a control point then SMB is the way to go. Once the library is scanned you have a nice interface, search tools, filters, control over how it is presented etc. The DLNA interface in moOde is clunky by comparison. I'd only go DLNA if you intend to use a different control point and cast to moOde as a DLNA renderer.
----------------
Robert
(07-23-2021, 02:12 PM)Facel Wrote: My 2nd question should have been more precise.
When my Windows server is asleep, instead  of running a fisrt application on my Phone (or on another PC) in order to wake up my Windows server, and then open the moode web page as control point, could it be possible to have a wakeup command button on the moode webpage ?

After serveral tryes I did not found the way to access to audio files when my windows server is asleep = suspend to ram.
I have the following error:
20210728 062110 sourceMount(): Mount error: (mount error: could not resolve address for Media-server: Unknown error)

My initial question N°2 was about the ability for Moode running on a RPI to send a Magic packet on the lan.

FYI my windows 10 (audio) server is correctly set to be able to wake with a magic packet.
@Facel ...   for enlightenment see @TheOldPresbyope  comments in this thread... Smile

https://moodeaudio.org/forum/showthread.php?tid=2020
----------
bob
(07-28-2021, 07:17 AM)DRONE7 Wrote: @Facel ...   for enlightenment see @TheOldPresbyope  comments in this thread... Smile

Thank you DRONE7 for your usefull link

I will try to set up this functionnality on my USBRidge
This makes me say that I just made a NAS file server with a second RPi... with moOde on it !
(and static address assignment).

And it works great with Samba.
I haven't tried DLNA (yet?), but I can't see the benefits either.
musical regards

y.
(07-28-2021, 01:26 PM)Facel Wrote:
(07-28-2021, 07:17 AM)DRONE7 Wrote: @Facel ...   for enlightenment see @TheOldPresbyope  comments in this thread... Smile

Thank you DRONE7 for your usefull link

I will try to set up this functionnality on my USBRidge

If the goal is to use wake-on-lan capability to bring the Win10 server out of sleep mode, executing the following command-line sequence on your moOde player will install both etherwake and wakeonlan (mentioned in the referenced thread)

Code:
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install etherwake

Besides the Debian page I mentioned in the referenced thread, there are a number of HowTos on the InterWeb™. Google is your friend.

Executing etherwake or wakeonlan from the command line is trivial---just need to know the MAC address of the server. Deciding how and when to execute either requires some thought.

Good hunting.

Regards,
Kent

PS - kudos to @DRONE7 for remembering the 18-month old thread.
@TheOldPresbyope
Thank you

The best way would probably to have a menu in the moode web interface, for entering the IP and Mac address of the server and then to be able to send this command via a dedicated button or simultaneously with the Update library function.

Otherwise simply run the WOL command each time my moode device is powered on