Thank you for your donation!

Cloudsmith graciously provides open-source package management and distribution for our project.

Dealing with hidden or ghost files
Is there any way of deleting (hidden) ._ files from an openmediavault share ?

Copied the media to an ext4 drive from mac (with ExtFS)

Tried ssh to the pi (raspianLite with OMV) but i'm not seeing the drive in media folder ..

Or maybe deleting it from macos? anyway of doing it automatically for a big collection ?

Thanks !
@opikid

Sounds like you need to read some documentation about OpenMediaVault and its storage strategy.

Try looking somewhere like /srv/dev-disk-by-label-data

Don't forget that it's a Linux system. To see "hidden" files or directories (leading dot in filename) you'll have to use commands like ls -a

Have a look at online aids such as https://www.cyberciti.biz/faq/remove-hid...-in-linux/

ETA - Yes, if you can mount the share on another host (your macOS host, a Raspberry Pi OS host, etc) as a user with proper permissions you can edit the share contents from there. In the case of a moOde player, you'll find the share contents below /mnt/NAS/<sharename>

Regards,
Kent
(02-12-2022, 08:55 PM)opikid Wrote: Is there any way of deleting (hidden) ._ files from an openmediavault share ?

Copied the media to an ext4 drive from mac (with ExtFS)

Tried ssh to the pi (raspianLite with OMV) but i'm not seeing the drive in media folder ..

Or maybe deleting it from macos? anyway of doing it automatically for a big collection ?

Thanks !

Those osx dot files and dirs are really annoying. If you try to delete them on osx drives they will just come right back whenever the drive or folder is accessed by an app or Finder.

I run the commands below on Linux to nuke em. First change to the root of the drive or folder tree.

Code:
sudo find . -name "._*" -exec rm -rf {} \;
sudo find . -name ".Trashes" -exec rm -rf {} \;
sudo find . -name "._.Trashes" -exec rm -rf {} \;
sudo find . -name ".Spotlight*" -exec rm -rf {} \;
sudo find . -name ".DS_Store" -exec rm -rf {} \;
sudo find . -name "._.DS_Store" -exec rm -rf {} \;
sudo find . -name ".fseventsd*" -exec rm -rf {} \;
sudo find . -name "._.com.apple.timemachine.donotpresent" -exec rm -rf {} \;
sudo find . -name ".com.apple.timemachine.donotpresent" -exec rm -rf {} \;
sudo find . -name ".TemporaryItems" -exec rm -rf {} \;
sudo find . -name "._.TemporaryItems" -exec rm -rf {} \;
sudo find . -name "._moodecfg.txt" -exec rm -rf {} \;
sudo find . -name "__MACOSX" -exec rm -rf {} \;
Enjoy the Music!
moodeaudio.org | Mastodon Feed | GitHub
Ok,  doing it from ubuntu did the trick .. thank you !

Found a way to hide these files from OMV forums Hidden files visible.

It seems to work.

I hope it's ok to post a link to OMV forums ?

Thanks again.