Thank you for your donation!

Cloudsmith graciously provides open-source package management and distribution for our project.

Is it straightforward to manually update mpd to 0.22.9
As the title, can I manually upgrade mpd and mpc to version 0.22.9 available from elsewhere already compiled for the Pi (armhf) and Debian with the command

Code:
sudo dpkg -i mpd_0.22.9_armhf.deb

without any issues per se ?

cheers
(08-08-2021, 07:50 PM)scotsmist Wrote: As the title, can I manually upgrade mpd and mpc to version 0.22.9 available from elsewhere already compiled for the Pi (armhf) and Debian with the command

Code:
sudo dpkg -i mpd_0.22.9_armhf.deb

without any issues per se ?

cheers

Since you invoked the phrase per se, there's another wonderful Latin phrase used by scholars and logicians which I think applies here: mutatis mutandis

Essentially, it means that this will work "making alternations as necessary".

Since we don't know how the mpd and mpc binaries in this .deb file were built, e.g., what options were selected, etc., nor where dpkg will want to install the binaries we can't know whether you can run the dpkg install and not experience issues.

If you're feeling lucky you could "just do it" after saving the existing mpd and mpc binaries somwhere.

Check the build recipe in the moOde github repo to see the mpd options we use.

Regards,
Kent
Looking at the build, its not putting the files in the same places, mostly and/or adds a few files not included with moode, ie HTML Docs. So a little cleaning up.

I have a spare sd-card to mess with a clean install and a few spare cycles.

Thanks for answering though. I wasn't sure if it was a bit tongue in cheek to ask. I'm thinking at the moment, out loud, of some nice stats for my desktop browser - history stuff, like when a song was last played, how often, when it was added. the bitrate, most played stuff - artist, album, track; that sort of thing. Whilst looking around the files, I noticed that mpd.log saves a start/stop ? time and full file path and looks like a file that could be read into a DB either on the same Pi as Moode or perhaps on the file server with the NFS shares. It might also be interesting to run it on a 3rd system (multi-room with server and client mpd's). I haven't coded in a while though, but have a few spare cycles and I'm looking for a pet project.
(08-08-2021, 08:43 PM)TheOldPresbyope Wrote: Since you invoked the phrase per se, there's another wonderful Latin phrase used by scholars and logicians which I think applies here: mutatis mutandis

Regards,
Kent

Compulsory subject in 1st and 2nd year (age 13-14) here in Scotland back in the 70s. I'm surprised nobody has written a Latin programming language Smile

Cheers
Stuart aka scotsmist
@scotsmist

Hi, Stuart.

My late wife studied Latin at a similar age and could always trounce me when it came to meanings and origins of words.

I've seen it said (stealing from an old quora.com post) that ALGOL is the Latin of programming languages---like Latin, it's dead; it was influential; it was pioneering. This witticism is easier to appreciate if you've actually used ALGOL (way back in the last century everybody published their algorithms in ALGOL; it was invented for this purpose by an ACM committee). I used the ALGOL compiler on the Maniac III computer at the University of Chicago back in the day.

As for track usage, note that moOde offers an alternative to parsing the mpd log. If you enable "Metadata file" in m >  System > Local Service then you can see useful information about the currently playing track in the file /var/local/www/currentsong.txt

Example

Code:
pi@moode:~ $ more /var/local/www/currentsong.txt
file=USB/34CE-D727/USBMusic/Archive.org/adderley-cannonball-1961-nancy-wilson-and-cannonball-adderley-side-a-blp-cr-06/Adderley, Cannonball (1961) - Nancy Wilson and Cannonball Adderley side B (BLP)-cr-02.flac
artist=Adderley, Cannonball
album=Nancy Wilson / Adderley
title=Never Say Yes (Instrumental)
coverurl=/coverart.php/USB%2F34CE-D727%2FUSBMusic%2FArchive.org%2Fadderley-cannonball-1961-nancy-wilson-and-cannonball-adderley-side-a-blp-cr-06%2FAdderley%2C%2
0Cannonball%20%281961%29%20-%20Nancy%20Wilson%20and%20Cannonball%20Adderley%20side%20B%20%28BLP%29-cr-02.flac
track=8
date=1961
composer=
encoded=24/48 FLAC
bitrate=133 kbps
outrate=16 bit, 48 kHz, Stereo, 1.536 Mbps
volume=49
mute=0
state=play

Regards,
Kent

PS - my significant other proudly traces her lineage to Clan McLeod. I likely fall into the Scots-Irish category (rudely called Scotch-Irish on this side of the pond) but the evidence is circumstantial.
Thanks, that's very useful to know about the currentsong.txt
I'm only now working my way through moode's code, piecing it together. I was originally looking for a 'hook' I could latch on to in Moode, that would call some code (of mine) whenever a song ends. I was originally thinking along the lines of something generic that would listen to mpd directly (mpc status), as it would be easier to port. Anywho, onwards and upwards.

Algol was a lot faster than Pascal, but I didn't know that about it being considered the Latin of coding. I had an Algol complier for my BBC Micro back in the day. Never used it though. Loaded into sideways RAM. Made my 32 KB RAM into 128 KB and I could sideways load ROMs into RAM and switch quickly.

Mcleod's - tru highlander's Smile My family are descended from clan Cameron.

Cheers.
(08-09-2021, 01:58 PM)TheOldPresbyope Wrote: I've seen it said (stealing from an old quora.com post) that ALGOL is the Latin of programming languages---like Latin, it's dead; it was influential; it was pioneering. This witticism is easier to appreciate if you've actually used ALGOL (way back in the last century everybody published their algorithms in ALGOL; it was invented for this purpose by an ACM committee). I used the ALGOL compiler on the Maniac III computer at the University of Chicago back in the day.

I learnt programming Algol 60 on an Elliott 503 at my university, followed by Fortran and Assembler on an IBM 1130, and then Burroughs Algol on a B6700 (a wonderful machine).

Phil

(08-10-2021, 03:48 PM)philrandal Wrote:
(08-09-2021, 01:58 PM)TheOldPresbyope Wrote: I've seen it said (stealing from an old quora.com post) that ALGOL is the Latin of programming languages---like Latin, it's dead; it was influential; it was pioneering. This witticism is easier to appreciate if you've actually used ALGOL (way back in the last century everybody published their algorithms in ALGOL; it was invented for this purpose by an ACM committee). I used the ALGOL compiler on the Maniac III computer at the University of Chicago back in the day.

I learnt programming Algol 60 on an Elliott 503 at my university, followed by Fortran and Assembler on an IBM 1130, and then Burroughs Algol on a B6700 (a wonderful machine).

Phil

This is like counting rings on a tree trunk. We're definitely dating ourselves Smile 

I'm still young enough to remember the many hardware and software environments I've worked in. Trouble is, I've gotten old enough to expect people want the benefit of my experience. You can imagine the eye-rolls I get from my grandkids and their friends.

Regards,
Kent