Thank you for your donation!

Cloudsmith graciously provides open-source package management and distribution for our project.

Problem: kernel panic when "update library"
I use PerfectTUNES (from the same supplier as dbpoweramp) to manage metadata tags. It has lots of different ways of looking at this, and may be of use to you. Try it and see.

Regards,
Geoff
@Panua

Whoa, internal kernel errors should never occur. Sorry, I didn't pay attention to your previous kernel log output.

Random thoughts:

It's not easy to diagnose this issue remotely. One has to be suspicious of everything. When I've experienced kernel-oops errors in other projects they could be traced to hardware problems like flaky memory card, flaky power source, flaky connections, or inadequate power cable. Hardware has to be checked first.

Even if your moOde player behaves itself when run without the NAS connection (and does it?) it's possible that scanning the NAS exercises memory addresses not otherwise touched and triggers the fault.

Have you run top or moOde's moodeutl -m command in a terminal window while scanning your library to see if you might be running into memory limits? (The RPi0W has only 512MB of RAM.)

What happens if you copy over several known-to-scan tracks and several known-to-fail tracks to the SDCARD directory and update with just that source and no NAS connection?

As an aside, since you are using MediaMonkey to deal with metadata issues, have you checked any of the "fixed" files (e.g., with previously mentioned file and flac commands) to be sure they now conform to the FLAC specification? Note that you could run these commands directly on the Ubuntu server to expedite matters.

Regards,
Kent
(08-19-2021, 03:56 PM)TheOldPresbyope Wrote: @Panua

Whoa, internal kernel errors should never occur. Sorry, I didn't pay attention to your previous kernel log output.

Random thoughts:

It's not easy to diagnose this issue remotely. One has to be suspicious of everything. When I've experienced kernel-oops errors in other projects they could be traced to hardware problems like flaky memory card, flaky power source, flaky connections, or inadequate power cable. Hardware has to be checked first.

I could try to change the powersupply, but it's currently a "real" one not a phone charger for example.

Quote:Even if your moOde player behaves itself when run without the NAS connection (and does it?) it's possible that scanning the NAS exercises memory addresses not otherwise touched and triggers the fault.

Have you run top or moOde's moodeutl -m command in a terminal window while scanning your library to see if you might be running into memory limits? (The RPi0W has only 512MB of RAM.)

The memory usage was at 34% when I started to get those kernel errors. I noticed though that when CPU reached 100% I got an error then. So maybe the powersupply is not enough?

Quote:What happens if you copy over several known-to-scan tracks and several known-to-fail tracks to the SDCARD directory and update with just that source and no NAS connection?

I don't have any anymore as far as I know. The errors appear in seemingly randomly with last files being ones that were processed just fine the previous time.

Quote:As an aside, since you are using MediaMonkey to deal with metadata issues, have you checked any of the "fixed" files (e.g., with previously mentioned file and flac commands) to be sure they now conform to the FLAC specification? Note that you could run these commands directly on the Ubuntu server to expedite matters.

Yes, the functionality IO mentioned seems to work fixing the flac files.

Also after I copied few gigs of music to the sdcard, the library update was successful (with the file that the update stopped last when the files were on the NAS). Although the files don't show up in the list, the last one is LR Channel test file...

Also when I try to play something I only get a popup:
MPD error Failed to open "ALSA Default" (alsa); Failed to open ALSA device "_audioout": no such file or directory.

Not sure what to do for that, as I have followed the instructions in the setup.txt file. Don't know how to fix it.
Code:
pi@moode:~ $ moodeutl -l
20210819 192658 worker: -- Start
20210819 192658 worker: Successfully daemonized
20210819 192659 worker: Integrity check (passed)
20210819 192703 moode.php: MPD connect failed: cmd=(playlist)
20210819 192703 worker: File check (OK)
20210819 192705 worker: Session vacuumed
20210819 192705 worker: Session loaded
20210819 192705 worker: Debug logging (OFF)
20210819 192705 worker: -- Audio debug
20210819 192705 worker: ALSA cards: (0:empty | 1:empty | 2:empty | 3:empty
20210819 192705 worker: MPD config: (0:MERUS(tm) Amp piHAT ZW | mixer:(Digital) | card:0)
20210819 192706 moode.php: MPD connect failed: cmd=(playlist)
20210819 192706 worker: ALSA mixer actual (Digital)
20210819 192706 worker: ALSA Digital volume set to (Invalid card number.)

Any specific instructions for the merus hat?
@Panua

I'm temporarily marooned in a hotel room and unable to conduct any useful experiments to try to help you along your debugging journey.

As well, you're using a DAC/amp HAT I know nothing about. Someone else will have to sort the "empty" ALSA card issue.

Sorry this has been such a trial. For me (and apparently for many others) moOde has been a flash-n-go product on every model RPi that's been released in the past 5 years using either DAC HAT or USB DAC and with local, SAMBA, and UPnP sources.

I always suspect the hardware first. 

Regards,
Kent
(08-23-2021, 03:11 PM)TheOldPresbyope Wrote: @Panua

I'm temporarily marooned in a hotel room and unable to conduct any useful experiments to try to help you along your debugging journey.

As well, you're using a DAC/amp HAT I know nothing about. Someone else will have to sort the "empty" ALSA card issue.

Sorry this has been such a trial. For me (and apparently for many others) moOde has been a flash-n-go product on every model RPi that's been released in the past 5 years using either DAC HAT or USB DAC and with local, SAMBA, and UPnP sources.

I always suspect the hardware first. 

Regards,
Kent

Meanwhile I have gotten little bit further.

- I have library update done, I'm not sure why, but one of the tries of updating it just finished after maybe an hour or two. One that seemed to help a little was updating Raspberry OS, there wasnät any directly relevant updates though, so maybe it was a placebo.
- not sure why the HAT gave errors to the log. I removed, and put it back couple of times and one time it did not give errors anymore. So maybe it was a bad contact of the pins or something?

Remaining issue is that although moode is playing, there's no sound coming out of the card, not even any background hum. I have read every technical conversation about it, edited /boot/config.txt, alsamixer, speaker-test (after killing MPD first) etc. but the card stays silent. I may have to accept that this was a battle I couldn't win with my skills and knowledge. I haven't got a slightest idea  which log file to check, or if there's any other way to figure out if the hat is just a dud or if I broke it somehow.

Anyway, thanks a lot for your input and advice.