Thank you for your donation!

Cloudsmith graciously provides open-source package management and distribution for our project.

Solved: Volume of dsf files
Hi all,
Newbie here.

Hardware: Raspberry Pi 3b+ with IQaudio DAC+ using the headphone jack.

I am getting crazy loud volume from dsf files.

Listening to The Jazz Groove with volume set at 25.
Listen to mp3s at 20 to 25 setting

dsf files are set at 1 on the volume and even then, way to loud.

How can I adjust the output lower for dsf files?
For DAC's like the IQaudIO that don't do hardware volume control for DSD formats you would prolly need to set SoX resampling on so the DSD file first gets converted to PCM then you should be able to control volume.

Otherwise you could try one of the DAC's that provides hardware volume control for DSD formats:
- Allo Boss2 and Revolution
- Topping DAC's (I'm not sure which one's)
- Others
Enjoy the Music!
moodeaudio.org | Mastodon Feed | GitHub
Here's my settings

DSD Support: DSD over PCM
Mixer type: Software
SoX Resampling
Enabled: Yes
Bit Depth: Any
Sample rate: Any
Channels: Stereo
Selective Resampling: Resample (adhere to base freq.)
Quality: Very High
Multithreading: Yes

I'm just getting hiss.

Tried different settings in this section, I just get hiss.

I will try another dac, thank for your help.
That DAC does not support DSD over PCM. You will just get hiss or other potentially loud audio glitches. Below is the help for the DSD support option.

Code:
Native DSD: If the audio device reports that it supports Native DSD then MPD will send the unaltered DSD bitstream to the device otherwose MPD will perform DSD to PCM on-the-fly conversion.
DSD over PCM (DoP): There is no way to detect if an audio device supports DoP so only enable this if you are certain that the device support it otherwise the encapsulated DSD bitstream may cause loud or unpredictable distortion.

If you want to keep the DAC try returning the DSD support setting to "Native DSD (Default)", set SoX to a specific bit depth and sample rate and I'd also suggest setting Mixer type to "Hardware" and turning SoX Multithreading off cos IME it does not appear to make any difference and will prolly be removed in future release.

If that doesn't work let me know cos I have one of those DAC's and IIRC the above settings worked in the past for DSD files.
Enjoy the Music!
moodeaudio.org | Mastodon Feed | GitHub
Mixer type: Hardware
SoX Resampling
Enabled: Yes
Bit depth: 24
Sample rate: 192
Channels: Stereo
Selective resampling: Disabled
Quality: Very high
Multithreading: No

Stevie Ray Vaughan never sounded so good!

Thank you!