Thank you for your donation!

Cloudsmith graciously provides open-source package management and distribution for our project.

Solved: Problems with gui and playback
Hi,
I'm new to moode after trying rune and volumio.
I'm using a pi3b+ with a boss 1.2 hat.
Flac 24-96 files over 5ghz wifi. the wifi router is 20cm away from the pi. no case.

I am having both these same issues with an android phone with chrome and windows 7 tablet with chrome and edge browsers
Problem 1- after playing music for some time (not sure how long) when I want to access the ui it has disconnected and there is a reconnect button showing.
When I press reconnect the music begins to stutter and only some elements of the ui come back on screen, the m menu button, the player controls and a dot in the top left hand corner where it usually says search, moode is unresponsive. I cant pause or skip, the menu drop down works but none of the commands repsond eg I cant shut down or restart. The music continues to stutter and I have to unplug the power.

Problem 2_is the ui not keeping up with what moode is doing eg I press skip and the song changes but the ui shows the previous song still playing . If I try to refresh the browser or use the refresh command in the moode menu I end up with problem 1.

All settings are default
Caches cleared on browsers

Anyone able to help with this?
Cheers
(08-25-2021, 09:39 AM)Mattt Wrote: Flac 24-96 files over 5ghz wifi. the wifi router is 20cm away from the pi. no case.

Have you tried connecting via Ethernet?  If you have an Ethernet port available on the router, or a local switch connected to the router, that would be a good test to determine if the problem is related to WiFi.  At only 20cm, I'd be worried about swamping the RF front end of the Pi or router.
Cheers,
  Miss Sissy Princess
The symptom "unresponsive UI" suggests something external to moOde software for example a network issue, SDCard issue, other hardware issue, 3rd party software installed, modified OS, etc.

Couple things you could try before swapping to Ethernet as @Miss Sissy Princess suggested.

Reboot then post the Moode startup log
Code:
moodeutl -l

Post WiFi stats from the Pi
Code:
iwconfig wlan0

Post ping stats Pi -> WiFi Router
Code:
ping -c 30 ROUTER_HOST_NAME
Enjoy the Music!
moodeaudio.org | Mastodon Feed | GitHub
@Mattt

...and if using an Ethernet cable is inconvenient/impossible you could just separate the moOde player from the router by a meter or more as a test to see if the issue abates. You could run the commands suggested by Tim before and after to see how the stats compare.

Regards,
Kent
Thanks for the replies everyone,
The ethernet on my pi doesn't work so I am unable to test that.
Very interesting (to me) re moving the pi away from the router. I had always assumed that closer was better when dealing with wireless connections.
My setup included my receiver which was also near to the pi and connecting via wifi I have hardwired the receiver and turned off its wifi.

I have moved the pi away as far as the rca cables to the receiver will allow...approx 900mm.
This seems to have solved the ui disconnecting, the music stuttering and the unresponsiveness.  Smile
Refreshing either the browser or the ui itself also works without any issues.
Thanks!!
I will just say that the ui still seems to have a bit of a lag. eg it can take over a minute for the ui to change the song playing after the song has actually changed. It seems to be faster if I skip a song but can still take up to 30 seconds or so.

I'm not  a linux guy at all and couldn't get the ping command to work nor do I know how to copy the results to post them but here are the relevant wifi stats, after moving it
Bit rate 433 Mb/s
Tx Power=31 dBm
Link quality=57/70
Signal level=53 dBm
everything else is off or 0.

They look pretty good to my uneducated eye.
?
Worked out the ping test...averaging 2.076ms and 0% packet loss
Symptoms including "it can take over a minute for the ui to change the song playing after the song has actually changed" is very abnormal and suggests something external to moOde software. Normally the UI is very responsive.

Try a different Pi with a functioning Ethernet port and connect via Ethernet. This may help isolate the problem.
Enjoy the Music!
moodeaudio.org | Mastodon Feed | GitHub
I have hooked up another pi with ethernet and the ui is now very snappy.  Big Grin
Cheers
(08-28-2021, 02:33 AM)Mattt Wrote: I have hooked up another pi with ethernet and the ui is now very snappy.  Big Grin
Cheers

That is a big part of why I strongly recommend Ethernet for any moOde server where it is physically practical.
Cheers,
  Miss Sissy Princess