Thank you for your donation!

Cloudsmith graciously provides open-source package management and distribution for our project.

Audio Config I2S settings
Hi - I have a Pi 4B (8 gb) with Allo digione Signature hat - running Moode. Controlled by LMS
Just wondering about the options in Audio Config - I2S Audio Device - what is DT Overlay option ?
It provides a way to support I2S audio devices that are not listed in the Named device list. Below is the help text.

Code:
Named devices provide descriptive information and may also provide configurable driver and/or chip options accessible from the UI. Device Tree (DT) overlays provide an I2S interface for a device but without integrated UI access to any driver or chip options. Contact the device manufacturer for information on which overlay to use.

For example if you have the Cirrus Logic Audio Card its not listed in the Named device list but it's overlay (driver) "rpi-cirrus-wm5102" can be selected from the DT overlay list. This allows you to play audio via the card.

If it made sense to expend the effort to integrate this device into the Named list then you would select it from there and its overlay would automatically be loaded. If the card had special chip options, input switching etc we would be able to create UI and configurations to handle those as part of the effort to integrate the device.
Enjoy the Music!
moodeaudio.org | Mastodon Feed | GitHub
(08-27-2021, 08:53 AM)hillbear Wrote: Hi - I have a Pi 4B (8 gb) with Allo digione Signature hat - running Moode. Controlled by LMS
Just wondering about the options in Audio Config - I2S Audio Device - what is DT Overlay option ?

For what it is worth, I have a Pi3B+ based player that uses a Hifiberry+ based proprietary card. It's a Magna Mano ultra. Normally I use(d) it over AES-EBU.

Just this afternoon I tried the I2S connection with my DAC. It just worked, both PCM and DSD.

No fiddling...
This company that you refer to has no support forum for their products even though they claim they work with all sorts of software players.
Enjoy the Music!
I was about to ask this question also.
I have another....there are dt overlays in the dropdown for supported devices eg Allo Boss. What are they for?
Cheers
They are the same overlays that are used by the named devices.. I should prolly filter those out of the list to avoid confusion. Currently the list is just a dump of the audio drivers in the /boot/overlays directory.
Enjoy the Music!
(08-28-2021, 01:50 AM)Tim Curtis Wrote: This company that you refer to has no support forum for their products even though they claim they work with all sorts of software players.

No, they have no forum. It's a small company. They provide phone & email support & do that very well IMHO. Just gave the name as this is the only Pi based player I have with
an I2S HDMI output.

My point was more that I did a clean install of 7.3 on this machine, using the Hifiberry Digi Pro+ setting. No overlays. With that both the AES/EBU and I2S work.

But in the end, I appear to have misinterpreted the TS's question...

P.S. Let me explain quickly why I misread the question. I had a new DAC with multiple HDM I2S inputs & 2 sources (the above mentioned & a CD transport) with HDM I2S out. Could not get it to work, even though the DAC offered all kind of I2S HDMI settings. Both manufacturers advised me it should work. But no. So got another DAC. That was plug & play and both worked...

So I was still very much in a "hooking up to an external device I2S mode".