Thank you for your donation!

Cloudsmith graciously provides open-source package management and distribution for our project.

Moode sharing music on network
Hi all,

I have a question about network sharing.

I have two RPI's with Moode 7.3 on them, one in the living room and one in my basement office.

The one in the living room has an usb SSD connected with music and I can play that on the living room RPI. I actually want to share that disk with music on the network so I can play in the basement as well, but I do not know how to set up?

I already tried activating upnp and dlna sharing on the living room RPI but so far I cannot access from the basement. Any ideas how to set this up? I did manage earlier with a older Moode release but now I cannot get it to work....

thanks in advance for any tips/hints!
Menu, Configure, Library
CREATE Music source

Type: SMB (Samba)
Click SCAN
Select your living room Pi from the list. It will be the one with the named SSD disk.

Below is an example screen shot showing one of my Pi's, RP1 that has an attached USB drive named VFAT128. If the music were in a specific folder on the drive I'd add on the folder name by using EDIT Path manually

Enjoy the Music!
moodeaudio.org | Mastodon Feed | GitHub
Hi Tim,

Thanks for your reply. This was indeed the way I used before, but now nothing is found when I scan.

In the end it works now via dlna, so living room is the server and the basement configured as client.

But via the samba share it used to be easier indeed. Any idea why a scan does not find the SSD drive?
If the scan results are empty then something is blocking the discovery protocol (Multicast DNS) on your network.

Try adding the entire path manually.
Enjoy the Music!
Thanks Tim

I have a network with an openwrt (21.02) main router and an openwrt (also 21.02) ap/switch. I checked the settings but I cannot find what is blocking it. Weird, anyone else having the same issue?
(09-11-2021, 12:25 PM)Falco Wrote: Thanks Tim

I have a network with an openwrt (21.02) main router and an openwrt (also 21.02) ap/switch. I checked the settings but I cannot find what is blocking it. Weird, anyone else having the same issue?

Of the four networks I've been forced to live with in the last 18 months, the auto-scan discovery process worked on two and failed on two. This was true not just for moOde but for my Linux laptop when using the same smbtree program that moOde calls. The networking landscape is complex and techie forums such as stackexchange have numerous threads discussing various reasons service discovery can fail.

Irrespective of whether discovery worked on the LAN, I have always been able to enter the server data manually into the moOde Music Source panel and make a successful connection.

Regards,
Kent
Below are the commands used when creating a Music Source. Example output is from my network/hosts.

If there is "no output" from these commands try checking Router and AP logs for any error messages regarding blocked ports etc.

Code:
# Command used by the SCAN function.

pi@rp1:~ $ sudo smbtree -N -b
WORKGROUP
       \\RT-N66U                       RT-N66U
               \\RT-N66U\IPC$                  IPC Service (RT-N66U)
               \\RT-N66U\VFAT256               ASMT 2115's VFAT256
       \\RP3                           moOde SMB Server
               \\RP3\IPC$              IPC Service (moOde SMB Server)
               \\RP3\SDCard            SDCARD Storage
               \\RP3\Radio             RADIO Stations
               \\RP3\Playlists         Playlist Directory
               \\RP3\NAS               NAS Shares
       \\RP2                           moOde SMB Server
               \\RP2\IPC$              IPC Service (moOde SMB Server)
               \\RP2\VFAT128           USB Storage
               \\RP2\SDCard            SDCARD Storage
               \\RP2\Radio             RADIO Stations
               \\RP2\Playlists         Playlist Directory
               \\RP2\NAS               NAS Shares
       \\RP1                           moOde SMB Server
               \\RP1\IPC$              IPC Service (moOde SMB Server)
               \\RP1\VFAT128           USB Storage
               \\RP1\SDCard            SDCARD Storage
               \\RP1\Radio             RADIO Stations
               \\RP1\Playlists         Playlist Directory
               \\RP1\NAS               NAS Shares
       \\MOODE                         moOde SMB Server
               \\MOODE\IPC$            IPC Service (moOde SMB Server)
               \\MOODE\SDCard          SDCARD Storage
               \\MOODE\Radio           RADIO Stations
               \\MOODE\Playlists       Playlist Directory
               \\MOODE\NAS             NAS Shares
       \\LT5                           LT5
pi@rp1:~ $

# Command used to determine Samba protocol versions available on the specified host. This is run when the Music Source is created. The highest version available will be used.

pi@rp1:~ $ sudo nmap rp2  -p 139 --script smb-protocols |grep \|
| smb-protocols:
|   dialects:
|     NT LM 0.12 (SMBv1) [dangerous, but default]
|_    3.11
pi@rp1:~ $
Enjoy the Music!