Thank you for your donation!

Cloudsmith graciously provides open-source package management and distribution for our project.

Question: Does Bluetooth Output use the Audio output from the DAC Hat?
(09-23-2021, 07:48 PM)Tim Curtis Wrote: IIRC the use case that doesn't work is when there is no physical adapter present like on the Pi's w/o integrated adapters.

Ah. I no longer have any such to test with.
@Tim Curtis

Turns out I lied. I found an RPi2B 1.1 hiding in a carton I unwrapped just this afternoon.Trying the same test, I get:

Code:
pi@moode:~ $ sudo hcitool dev
Devices:

But wait, there's more. The System Info popup declares

Code:
Onboard WiFi        = None
Onboard BT        = None

and the System Config screen doesn't offer the option of turning either service off/on. Looks like moOde can already detect the absence of a physical interface.

Regards,
Kent
(09-23-2021, 06:47 PM)Tim Curtis Wrote: You can run the command below to turn off the Bluetooth Renderer so it does not start during reboot.

Code:
moodeutl -q "update cfg_system set value='0' where param='btsvc'"

The reason there is no automatic protection for the condition where BT Renderer is on but no BT adapter exists is that AFAIK there is no test to determine whether a BT adapter exists and is enabled. If there is such a test I'll try to repro it.

Hi Tim, If i understand you correctly, that would require me to have had SSH Term Server set ON and the WebSSH Terminal OPEN before I set the Bluetooth adapter to OFF. Since I hadn't, I think I had no option other than reloading the SD Card and starting again.

You can probably tell that I am probably talking a better game than my competence would suggest Blush 

R
I normally use SSH from my Mac but if you don't have SSH available outside of moOde then a reload is one of the only ways to get of that situation.
Enjoy the Music!
moodeaudio.org | Mastodon Feed | GitHub
(09-23-2021, 10:27 PM)TheOldPresbyope Wrote: @Tim Curtis

Turns out I lied. I found an RPi2B 1.1 hiding in a carton I unwrapped just this afternoon.Trying the same test, I get:

Code:
Devices:

Code:
Onboard BT        = None

and the System Config screen doesn't offer the option of turning either service off/on. Looks like moOde can already detect the absence of a physical interface.

Regards,
Kent

Maybe. Below is from my notes from way back when.

Code:
- Bluetooth device detection ?
    - hcitool dev | grep hci
    - NOTE: this actually doesnt detect the presense of the adapter, only whether an adapter is enabled.
Enjoy the Music!
moodeaudio.org | Mastodon Feed | GitHub
(09-24-2021, 12:09 AM)Tim Curtis Wrote:
(09-23-2021, 10:27 PM)TheOldPresbyope Wrote: @Tim Curtis

Code:
Devices:

Code:
Onboard BT        = None

Regards,
Kent

Maybe. Below is from my notes from way back when.

Code:
- Bluetooth device detection ?
    - hcitool dev | grep hci
    - NOTE: this actually doesnt detect the presense of the adapter, only whether an adapter is enabled.
Tim, If you are looking at fixing this quirk, it appears to me that there are three use cases that can cause the issue:

1. The Native Bluetooth adapter is Not Present: I think that moOde already detects this condition because the /Configure/ System panel doesn't have the option to enable it.

2. The Native Bluetooth adapter is present but turned OFF:
    My problem arose because I had Configure/ Audio/ Audio Renderers/ Bluetooth Renderer set to Moode Bluetooth and I then went into System Config and turned the Bluetooth Adapter OFF!!!

I know that you have a fix planned in v7.40 which may fix this ...

3. The Native Bluetooth Adapter is Not Present but a USB Bluetooth Adapter is attached:
    In this case, I used the Configure/ Audio/ MPD Config/ Audio Output EDIT button to direct the MPD Audio Output to the "Wireless Music Adap"

In this case, if the USB Bluetooth adapter is disconnected or un-Paired, the Audio Output resets to Pi Headphone Jack or Pi HDMI, whichever was previously selected. I think this is working as designed.
I hope this is reasonably lucid. Let me know if you need me to do any testing. Thanks, Robin
I'm having to relearn what I used to know when we were first testing the RaspiOS BT subsystem and how the results were woven into moOde code. Blush Unfortunately, right now I'm dealing with new-house issues (don't ya love the term "punch list") and can't walk the code.

The immediate problem I thought we were addressing is: 
  • IF there is no BT controller present and enabled
  • AND moOde's Bluetooth Renderer is enabled (which can be done on an bare RPi2B, for example)
  • THEN moOde hangs when rebooted (actually it boots and is accessible via SSH but the WebUI hangs)

It still seems to me that the first condition can be tested using hcitool (and/or hciconfig) but I'll have to line up a couple of RPi models with and without on-board BT transceivers and with and without external USB-BT adapters to check my hypothesis.

Regards,
Kent

PS - this discussion deserves its own thread.
(09-24-2021, 06:46 PM)TheOldPresbyope Wrote: I'm having to relearn what I used to know when we were first testing the RaspiOS BT subsystem and how the results were woven into moOde code. Blush Unfortunately, right now I'm dealing with new-house issues (don't ya love the term "punch list") and can't walk the code.

The immediate problem I thought we were addressing is: 
  • IF there is no BT controller present and enabled
  • AND moOde's Bluetooth Renderer is enabled (which can be done on an bare RPi2B, for example)
  • THEN moOde hangs when rebooted (actually it boots and is accessible via SSH but the WebUI hangs)

It still seems to me that the first condition can be tested using hcitool (and/or hciconfig) but I'll have to line up a couple of RPi models with and without on-board BT transceivers and with and without external USB-BT adapters to check my hypothesis.

Regards,
Kent

PS - this discussion deserves its own thread.
Hi Kent,
Yes, please ignore my ramblings. Your description is exactly the problem we are addressing.

Also, I agree that this thread has drifted far from the original question and should be opened in a new thread starting with your concise description of the issue.

I have sent you a PM suggesting you use your Admin priveliges to do this.

Robin