Thank you for your donation!

Cloudsmith graciously provides open-source package management and distribution for our project.

cannot play ogg over bluetooth
(10-03-2021, 01:05 AM)Tim Curtis Wrote: Lossy formats are a strange thing. Theres no concept of bit depth in a lossy compressed file.

If you do commands below you should see an 'f' in the Format: field. This means "no bit depth". You will also notice that  mediainfo on the file does not report a bit depth.

Code:
telnet localist 6600
lsinfo "PATH_TO_FILE_RELATIVE_TO_MPD_MUSIC_ROOT"

Interesting. I guess I just never looked, partly because .ogg files are containers which can contain all kinds of streams, both lossy (like Vorbis) and lossless (like FLAC). It's not just the lossy-ness at issue here; MP3 is lossy too but we get more accurate info (e.g., VBR compression).

In any case, "f" is a curious indicator for "no bit depth". That's what struck me as funny.

Regards,
Kent
Right. Its the Vorbis codec thats most commonly used inside ogg. Either way the format is not too common these days.

Actually I think the 'f' might mean floating point but its not documented anywhere obvious. I do recall seeing some MPD logs way back when with FLOAT_LE in them but I don't recall the format. One would prolly have to look in sources of mpd or ffmpeg to identify what 'f' really means.

For MP3 and some other formats for example AAC and DSD/DFF there's some additional parsing in playerlib.php function getEncodedAt() and audioinfo.php that happens to try and make some intelligent choices about format details when either mediainfo or mpd is not conclusive.

Makes for some interesting reading ;-)
Enjoy the Music!
moodeaudio.org | Mastodon Feed | GitHub