Thank you for your donation!

Cloudsmith graciously provides open-source package management and distribution for our project.

Solved: Stuttering MQA via USB DAC
I have a Topping D70s and full MQA decoding works fine, I know I get the full decode as the DAC's display shows MQA when playing MQA files.

So @zainframe in relation to the UPnP stuttering you gave a lot of detail about hardware, everything but the mobile device is running BubbleUPnP.
I'm thinking either BubbleUPnP is resampling the source to stream to Moode's UPnP renderer and its processor is too slow to keep up or there's a network issue that could be causing the stuttering.

For what it's worth here a Moode screenshot and a picture of my DAC when playing an MQA encoded file..

(10-15-2021, 02:32 PM)vinnn Wrote: I have a Topping D70s and full MQA decoding works fine, I know I get the full decode as the DAC's display shows MQA when playing MQA files.

So @zainframe in relation to the UPnP stuttering you gave a lot of detail about hardware, everything but the mobile device is running BubbleUPnP.
I'm thinking either BubbleUPnP is resampling the source to stream to Moode's UPnP renderer and its processor is too slow to keep up or there's a network issue that could be causing the stuttering.

For what it's worth here a Moode screenshot and a picture of my DAC when playing an MQA encoded file..
Thank you for your input. My understanding of UPNP was not accurate. I thought BubbleUPNP will always work as only the control point regardless where the audio source is from. After reading your post I searched a bit and found this https://moodeaudio.org/forum/showthread....=30&page=2 and did some testing.

I've tried MQA titles from 3 sources- Tidal, Local DLNA NAS and on RPi/Moode micro sdcard and found out:

1) From Tidal - BubbleUPNP acts as a proxy server where the track is streamed from Tidal->BubbleUPNP phone->moode (IP shows that the audio source is my cellphone) - all this while I thought BubbleUPNP is only acting as a control point - that is why I never bothered informing about the phone model I am using. 

2) From DLNA NAS - track is streamed directly from NAS->moode (IP shows that the audio source is from my NAS), BubbleUPNP is acting as only a control point.

3) From SDCARD - track is streamed directly from the SDCARD->moode (IP shows that the audio source is my Pi unit running Moode- refer to screenshot- 192.168.1.234 is my Pi/Moode IP address). BubbleUPNP is acting as only a control point.

Let's forget about #1 since Moode does not support Tidal at this moment (or ever?) but I am having the same stuttering issue with all 3 source locations/scenarios.

FYI as I mentioned before MQA/Tidal works flawlessly on the same Pi box via methods not supported in this forums (outside of Moode Audio).

I'll enable the MPD verbose logging as advised and hopefully see something 'funky' in the logs that may help.

Thanks everyone!

@zainframe

Sorry, when I suggested playing a local file I expected you'd add it to the queue "the moOde way", e.g., via the WebUI. My intention was to take everything else out of the loop for a minimalist test of the audio subsystem. No minidlna, no upmpdcli, just MPD.

Regards,
Kent
I managed to get my hands on a 4GB Pi4 and swapped the sdcard on my Pi3 moode box into the Pi4 - Problem solved! (not 100% though)
MQA on NAS/Local (yes @TheOldPresbyope also tried it via the 'Moode way'/webUI) and BubbleUpnp now works flawlessly without any stuttering!!

However some tracks which are labelled MQA on Tidal still doesnt play in MQA (no MQA light on my DAC) but I think this issue should be discussed elsewhere since it involves Tidal (and BubbleUPNP). Thanks to you guys I now realize that BubblePnp actually acts as a proxy when playing Tidal, not just a 'remote control' - this probably opens a whole can of worms which has nothing to do with Moode.

Thank you for everyone's support (and not starting another MQA war).