Thank you for your donation!

Cloudsmith graciously provides open-source package management and distribution for our project.

Solved: Tagging albums with multiple artists behaving strange.
@Soldeed

I don't generally label programs as "best". I previously listed a number of programs I keep on my Linux laptop. Some are native Linux apps and some are Windows apps that I've installed via PlayOnLinux, based on Wine (originally a recursive acronym---Wine is not an emulator).

ETA - Rereading the above, I realized I could install foobar2000 via PlayOnLinux as well.

Each editor has its idiosyncrasies so it's probably best to focus on one and understand through testing how it works. As a simple example, it took me a while to understand the default settings in Mp3tag [1] and how to manipulate them to suit my purposes. 

I also like to use Python modules such as pytaglib and mutagen to write scripts which can explore and modify metadata.

Regards,
Kent

[1] note that the names of programs such as Mp3tag and Kid3 reflect their origins as MP3/ID3 editors but they now handle a wide variety of audio file formats. Just be sure not to accidentally add an ID3 tag on a FLAC file, for example; that confuses MPD.
(10-24-2021, 10:43 AM)suhrim Wrote: @TheOldPresbyope

Yeah the lack of standard on how to tag things is the big problem, IMO the most logical way to tag an album like this would be to only use the artist tags (since it's the same on all songs), this also displays closest to what I want if it didn't show up under unknown artist. I thought you'd only use the Album artist tag the artist isn't the same for the whole album

Too work best in moOde Library set AlbumArtist tag to either Artist for non-compilation albums or "Various Artists" for compilation albums, and there should only be one occurrence of the AlbumArtist tag.
Enjoy the Music!
moodeaudio.org | Mastodon Feed | GitHub
@Tim Curtis

That's the conclusion I made after some testing around also, I found that setting the artist tag to Placebo & David Bowie and the album artist to Placebo seems to work best (only using one artist tag). This also works in other places like Plex and foobar2000.

Thanks a bunch for helping, I'm marking this as solved now.