Thank you for your donation!

Cloudsmith graciously provides open-source package management and distribution for our project.

Nvarcher ES9038Q2m Raspberry Pi DAC hat
Out of curiosity I've used the supplied link and it seems that there are no boards available...

Actually my intention was to 'see' the DAC's balanced ports. One cannot decide what kind of ports are fitted on that board by simply checking the photos provided on the page; the angle used for taking those photos is definitely wrong in regards to the 'ouptput' ports.

It's true that the Seller presents the output ports as 'Gold plated balance output' (their spelling) in the associated text but you may want to get precise information before comitting yourself.

Should the ports be 'balanced' your choice of audio cables seems to be correct. Good luck.
(02-07-2023, 03:46 PM)CallMeMike Wrote: Out of curiosity I've used the supplied link and it seems that there are no boards available...

Actually my intention was to 'see' the DAC's balanced ports. One cannot decide what kind of ports are fitted on that board by simply checking the photos provided on the page; the angle used for taking those photos is definitely wrong in regards to the 'ouptput' ports.

It's true that the Seller presents the output ports as 'Gold plated balance output' (their spelling) in the associated text but you may want to get precise information before comitting yourself.

Should the ports be 'balanced' your choice of audio cables seems to be correct. Good luck.

The board is still available at Amazon France.

The user manual with more pictures and technical details can be found here: https://www.inno-maker.com/wp-content/up...alV1.0.pdf
(02-07-2023, 03:52 PM)romain Wrote:
(02-07-2023, 03:46 PM)CallMeMike Wrote: Out of curiosity I've used the supplied link and it seems that there are no boards available...

The user manual with more pictures and technical details can be found here: https://www.inno-maker.com/wp-content/up...alV1.0.pdf

Couple observations based on their tech manual. 

- They are using the Allo Katana driver but the board has no microcontroller to interface the driver to the ESS chip and thus none of the ESS chip options will be available. 
- They require the bare Katana DT overlay option in moOde which means that Hardware volume control won't be available.
Enjoy the Music!
moodeaudio.org | Mastodon Feed | GitHub
(02-07-2023, 05:01 PM)Tim Curtis Wrote:
(02-07-2023, 03:52 PM)romain Wrote:

Couple observations based on their tech manual. 

- They are using the Allo Katana driver but the board has no microcontroller to interface the driver to the ESS chip and thus none of the ESS chip options will be available. 
- They require the bare Katana DT overlay option in moOde which means that Hardware volume control won't be available.

Thanks for these remarks Tim. Except hardware volume control, which chip options would miss using Allo Katana's DT overlay instead of the named I2S device ?

edit: just for testing, with my Allo Boss 2 setup, I've used the allo-boss2-dac-audio DT overlay instead of the named I2S Allo Boss2 DAC. Chip options are now greyed out but hardware volume control is still available ; why would it be different with the es9038q2m based inno-maker board if I use Allo Katana's DT overlay ?
Many special device settings and features in moOde like Hardware volume or Chip options are made available based on selecting the "Named device" and not the "DT overlay".

Also some chip options are only available if the device itself has a custom proprietary microcontroller interface to the DAC chip. There is no mention of an interfacing microcontroller on the board in question.

Here are the chip options for the Audiophonics ES9038 DAC which contains an Audiophonics proprietary custom microcontroller interface to the ESS chip. In pictures its the giant Altera FPGA chip. My particular device is the RaspiDAC Mini product. 

Input select.....................Oversampling filter

The Boss 2 DAC has two mixers. The main PCM mixer is named "Master" and the DoP mixer is named "Digital". moOde assigns "Master" as the PCM mixer based on the "Named device" and not the "DT overlay". The device name is also used to enable auto-start of Boss 2 OLED display and to keep Master and Digital mixers in sync.
Enjoy the Music!
Are there any DS DAC boards that can access OSF bypass mode in Moode?
Hardware: RPi Zero W | Allo Kali | ProtoDAC TDA1387 X8 | PGA2311 | Icepower 500ASP | Harbeth SHL5
Software: Moode 8.3.3
Source: Win 10 NAS
No I2S boards that I know of but Allo's Revolution USB DAC allows the ESS OSF bypass mode option to be turned on/off via its oled-screen menu. When OSF is off IIRC you have to upsample the source to 8X the base sample rate or something like that. Also with OSF off things like soft-mute, hardware volume and a few other options are not available.
Enjoy the Music!
If you must upsample to 8X, the way you upsample can make a big difference.

According to Ian Canada, "You can set up [OSF Bypass] by yourself. That's very easy." He now offers the new MonitorPi Pro (Integrated controller, analyzer, display). "Integrates a built in ESS controller that can auto detect and control Ian ESS DACs..."
Hardware: RPi Zero W | Allo Kali | ProtoDAC TDA1387 X8 | PGA2311 | Icepower 500ASP | Harbeth SHL5
Software: Moode 8.3.3
Source: Win 10 NAS