Thank you for your donation!

Cloudsmith graciously provides open-source package management and distribution for our project.

Sluggish web client performance redux
I've been having performance problems with the Moode web interface for two or three years and posted about it before at tiresome length.  I think I've solved the problem.  The question is whether or not it's a work around or a solution.  In my bedroom installation I've used my Android tablet or phone as the terminal.  Response time is generally in the 10 to 60 second range  for a screen tap.  Recently I tried my wife's old (4 years) laptop, Intel I5 processor, 8Gb RAM.  It works great.  My current phone has an octacore Snapdragon 662 processor and 6 Gb of RAM.  My tablet has a MediaTek Helio P221 octacore processor and 4 Gb of RAM.  Neither are particularly high end but work fine for other web browsing. 

Wifi signal strength in the bedroom is around -50dBf for 5GHz and better for 2.4.  I'm happy to be able to use Moode again although the laptop requires sitting up.  <g>  I'm guessing that either the graphics processor or the CPU in the Android devices isn't big enough unless it's an Android thing.  I do get slower response time using an HDMI or DSI local display with the Pi but not as slow as the Android devices. 

Does anyone else have a similar experience? 

BTW, I've been having fun with CamillaDSP.  I built a simple loudness contour that works and am receiving a measurement mic today.
Slow devices will render web pages slower than faster devices, also some web browsers are more efficient than others.

As Moode's web interface contains all the metadata of your music library the web pages rendered in the browser becomes more complex the bigger the library gets, thus slow devices begin to struggle to render all that html with larger libraries.
My library is quite large (>100000 tracks) and my main control surface was a low-end tablet and lived with it's sluggish performance for a few years until I bit the bullet and just bought a faster device.
@nosferatu_cat

Frankly, there’s no technical information here to make diagnosis possible but 
Quote:Response time is generally in the 10 to 60 second range  for a screen tap.

is outrageous.

With my Pixel 3A phone and the Android Chrome browser the response time pulling up and scrolling the Radio Library, for example, or switching between Library and Playback views is very fast. I have to be paying attention to notice screen fill time isn’t instantaneous.

ETA - I don’t have a ginormous library to test with so I can’t comment on scrolling 100K tracks.

Regards,
Kent
How do I get to the appropriate log to diagnose the problem?  I have close to 100K files, which I'm sure is a factor.  It takes 3 to 4 hours to index them on a fresh install.  I was hoping that there might be a way to optimize the web interface for slower clients.  MALP performs well on my phone and tablet.  It doesn't have all of the features that Moode has but it's a web interface for MPD that queues up some music. It works with a Moode installation in addition to a regular MPD install.   I've been using it a lot.  I've used Moode since v 2x.  The first device I used it with was the Samsung music player that was essentially a phone without the phone part running Android 2x.  I remember upgrading it to 3 and later rooting it.  Up to Moode 5x or so I didn't have the response time problem.

(11-02-2021, 07:54 PM)TheOldPresbyope Wrote: @nosferatu_cat

Frankly, there’s no technical information here to make diagnosis possible but 
Quote:Response time is generally in the 10 to 60 second range  for a screen tap.

is outrageous.

With my Pixel 3A phone and the Android Chrome browser the response time pulling up and scrolling the Radio Library, for example, or switching between Library and Playback views is very fast. I have to be paying attention to notice screen fill time isn’t instantaneous.

ETA - I don’t have a ginormous library to test with so I can’t comment on scrolling 100K tracks.

Regards,
Kent
100,000 tracks? That's ten times bigger than the libraries I work with. 

Have you tried sharding your collection onto different servers or shares with which to benchmark moOde?  1K, 5K, 10K, 50K, 100K, say. 

You can talk to Tim and his fellow front-end designers about moOde's current WebUI architecture but I suspect that steps which have been taken to make it more responsive for the typical user are problematic with respect to very large libraries (where "very large" isn't well designed Rolleyes ).

Regards,
Kent
(11-06-2021, 05:21 PM)I digitized all of my CDs and vinyl over the last 10 years.  I started buying music 60 years ago and kept a lot of it.  I wonder what MALP and the mpris MPD web clients do that\s different.  They're more responsive.  I love Moode's features.  I love to tweak settings.   TheOldPresbyope Wrote: 100,000 tracks? That's ten times bigger than the libraries I work with. 

Have you tried sharding your collection onto different servers or shares with which to benchmark moOde?  1K, 5K, 10K, 50K, 100K, say. 

You can talk to Tim and his fellow front-end designers about moOde's current WebUI architecture but I suspect that steps which have been taken to make it more responsive for the typical user are problematic with respect to very large libraries (where "very large" isn't well designed Rolleyes ).

Regards,
Kent
(11-09-2021, 07:19 PM)Just for the heck of it I set up a MALP profile for my 7.5 install.  MALP is fast as a player.  Admittedly it doesn\t give me access to the Moode configuration stuff but it has sub-second response time navigating my library from Moode Wrote:
(11-06-2021, 05:21 PM)I digitized all of my CDs and vinyl over the last 10 years.  I started buying music 60 years ago and kept a lot of it.  I wonder what MALP and the mpris MPD web clients do that\s different.  They Wrote: 100,000 tracks? That's ten times bigger than the libraries I work with. 

Regards,
Kent
Yes an MPD client will be a native app so will be faster with a large library. When I was using a slow tablet as a controller for my HiFi I'd often use MAFA on Android to avoid the sluggish browser performance.

Now with a fast tablet the web interface renders quickly with the 105k track library but I'm also now a Roon subscriber so I mainly use that with Roon Bridge installed on Moode.
I will recommend MAFA though, it's currently the most featureful MPD client on Android.
To add weight to the powerful hardware argument, I have recently upgraded from a "mid range" android to a "flagship" android and the difference in moOde is magical.  No where near 100,000 tracks in my library either (will you ever have time to listen to it all?), but the interface has gone from OK to faster than I can think.

The moOde interface is basically a very big web page with lots of images, and clever code running all the time, there will be a limit to what even a powerful device can do, and that might be well below 100,000 tracks.

Much cheaper than spending hundreds of pounds on a new phone though would be splitting the library like Kent suggested.  Try loading a mere 33,333 tracks and see if that improves the situation.  You could then use the money you just "saved" by not buying a new phone to buy a couple of new Pi streamers to load the rest of your library into Wink.
----------------
Robert