Thank you for your donation!

Cloudsmith graciously provides open-source package management and distribution for our project.

Wich raspberry version do u recomend?
Hello. What version of rapsberry pi do you recommend? the main use will be to manage a music library on an external hard drive (usb 3.0) connected by usb.
and want to controle it via mobile phone.
thanks.
With MoOde, a 3B+ is more than adequate.
If your HD has a USB 3.0 connection, you'll want the Pi 4B.
It has 2 USB 3.0 ports as well as 2 USB 2.0 ports.
Both responses are correct. Since a USB3.0 drive is backward compatible with USB2.0 interfaces, you have a choice of RPi3B+ and slower disk throughput or RPi4B and faster disk throughput.

There’s no particular advantage to the faster disk throughput during playback but it will speed up the transfer of files onto the disk from elsewhere.

Remember that power consumption and heat generation are higher in the RPi4B.

Regards,
Kent
(11-02-2021, 06:59 PM)TheOldPresbyope Wrote: Both responses are correct. Since a USB3.0 drive is backward compatible with USB2.0 interfaces, you have a choice of RPi3B+ and slower disk throughput or RPi4B and faster disk throughput.

There’s no particular advantage to the faster disk throughput during playback but it will speed up the transfer of files onto the disk from elsewhere.

Remember that power consumption and heat generation are higher in the RPi4B.

Regards,
Kent

thanks for reply. once the library "backup" is created on moode, i will browsin tough library faster with the USB3.0? or does't affect?

also, in my country 3B+ is out of stock, The 3B would be enough to a pleasent experience?

cheers
Here in the USA many models are listed as' out of stock' at all of my favorite vendors. 

One of my test systems is an RPi3B+ running moOde 7.4.1 and driving a USB DAC. The RPi is in a case with an 'official' Raspberry 7-in LCD and local USB thumbdrive with WiFi connection to LAN and hence to a remote NAS. I'm satisfied with the performance.

Somewhere in an as-yet unpacked moving box is an RPi3B. My memory is that it worked fine too but if I can find it I'll boot it into moOde 7.4.1 to compare. 

Many of the technical specs are the same for the two RPi models but the 3B is somewhat slower and has only a single-band 2.4GHz WiFi transceiver whereas the 3B+ has a dual-band 2.4GHz/5GHz WiFi transceiver. IIRC there was an issue with certain I2S DACs suffering interference with the WiFi signal (or the CPU clock?) on these models but I've forgotten the details.

As for browsing your library via USB3.0 vs USB2.0, I can't really comment. I don't have a collection big enough to stress my systems even with old USB2.0 drives.

Regards,
Kent