Thank you for your donation!

Cloudsmith graciously provides open-source package management and distribution for our project.

Remote volume controls
@MRamone

A quick check of Microsoft Surface Dial specs confirms a thought I just had. It turns out the Dial is a Bluetooth LE (aka BLE) device, not a regular Bluetooth device.

This means slightly different scanning and connecting commands are required. For example, both "sudo" and "lescan" are required in the following to scan for BLE devices

Code:
sudo hcitool lescan

while the following can be used to connect to one with MAC address xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx

Code:
sudo gatttool -b xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx -l

Or something like that. I don't have a BLE device to test with. Google is your friend.

Regards,
Kent
In /etc/bluetooth/main.conf try changing ControllerMode to dual which should enable LE connections. We will be testing it this way in Bullseye build.

ControllerMode = dual

Restart Bluetooth after change.
Enjoy the Music!
moodeaudio.org | Mastodon Feed | GitHub
(01-19-2022, 10:09 PM)Tim Curtis Wrote: In /etc/bluetooth/main.conf try changing ControllerMode to dual which should enable LE connections. We will be testing it this way in Bullseye build.

ControllerMode = dual

Restart Bluetooth after change.

Cool. Never too late to teach an old dog new tricks Big Grin
thank you both. Quick last (hopefully) question: i am trying to edit the file in nano, but whe i do controlO to save and exit, it tells me "permission denied" and does not save the changes... is there anything i need to do? thanks! (it happens both when i try to edit with bluetooth on and off)
(01-20-2022, 05:35 PM)MRamone Wrote: thank you both. Quick last (hopefully) question: i am trying to edit the file in nano, but whe i do controlO to save and exit, it tells me "permission denied" and does not save the changes... is there anything i need to do? thanks! (it happens both when i try to edit with bluetooth on and off)

It's a system file which you'll have to edit as root. Try sudo nano.
great! now it works, and after editing the file, bluetooth sees and pairs the dial

thank you again! first 1% of the project done!

i only wanted to listen to music and i will end up learning linux Big Grin
(01-20-2022, 05:46 PM)MRamone Wrote: i only wanted to listen to music and i will end up learning linux Big Grin
Another of the advantages of running moOde. It's two for the price of one!
----------------
Robert