Thank you for your donation!

Cloudsmith graciously provides open-source package management and distribution for our project.

tmux
Hello,
I see tmux is not installed by default.
Can I just apt-get update, than apt-get install tmux ?
Or, there is any similar package installed what I should use instead?
Thanks,
JG
General rule would be to back up your system then try it and see. I'm interested to hear what use you would have for terminal multiplexing on moOde though. As a headless music player, there is rarely call for a single command line, let alone several.
----------------
Robert
(11-25-2021, 07:57 AM)the_bertrum Wrote: General rule would be to back up your system then try it and see.  I'm interested to hear what use you would have for terminal multiplexing on moOde though.  As a headless music player, there is rarely call for a single command line, let alone several.

Hello,
Thanks for your reply!

I'm using tmux for starting something what requires time and I do not want to keep the ssh window open on the control pc. For example now, I make a "portable" player with its own file storage attached on USB. I copy all my library to the attached HDD and I did not want to keep the pc running where I start it from. For this, I normally just use tmux and tmux attach when I return to the process later. I see other people doing that (because I've also looked at how to spin down) and it is pretty logical to have attached hdd, so this could be one reason.
Maybe it is my limited knowledge, but tmux and similar is the way I know to be able to return to a running terminal. If there is other way, let me know please.

So now I did just run
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install tmux
Install went fine.
Than, I've tried and it works fine.

Probably I was just too careful. The reason is that previously I had other dedicated PI setup what I completly corrupted with an apt-get upgrade (I did not run upgrade now, only update) and I've realized I must not upgrade, nor install packages at all.

Thanks,
JG
On the Linux machines I administer at work, I use nohup (no hang up).  This tells the command to keep running even if the session disconnects.  If you put & on the end it also send the command to background and lets you use the command prompt wile the long task is running.

Code:
nohup <command here> &
I've not used it on any of my moOde players, but it should work.  But then, you have tmux as well  now Smile
----------------
Robert