Thank you for your donation!

Cloudsmith graciously provides open-source package management and distribution for our project.

Rotary encoder guru ?
Resurrecting an old thread: I have an Alps motorised pot I would like to use with my IQ Audio rig. I've burgled a nice alloy knob from an old non-HDMI 7-channel amp and put together an Arduino rig to control the motor.

Haptic feedback is a possibility... increased resistance the closer you get to 100% volume, buzzing, electric shock! :0
Hey, I have been having trouble with the use of the KY040. I have used the GitHub repository that was mentioned in one of the above posts and the encoder works. the only problem i have with this is this, the encoder only turns the volume up, no matter which way the encoder turns it only turns the volume up. I have everything wired the way shown in the plans on GitHub. Any ideas on what is causing this?
(02-27-2024, 04:51 PM)Johnathan W. Wrote: Hey, I have been having trouble with the use of the KY040. I have used the GitHub repository that was mentioned in one of the above posts and the encoder works. the only problem i have with this is this, the encoder only turns the volume up, no matter which way the encoder turns  it only turns the volume up. I have everything wired the way shown in the plans on GitHub. Any ideas on what is causing this?

I have the same problem in reverse! my encoder only turns the volume down Confused
I'd check carefully the wiring, sounds like you might not have the two signal wires attached correctly.
----------------
Robert
(03-04-2024, 09:31 AM)the_bertrum Wrote: I'd check carefully the wiring, sounds like you might not have the two signal wires attached correctly.

I have just checked that. They are all wired to what is seen in the GitHub repository's picture.
OK, I'm afraid I can't help much more then. I have a standard three pin encoder and use the built in encoder script in moOde which works fine. The KY040 looks like a different beast altogether.

(well mine is actually a five pin, but the other two are simply a standard push switch)
----------------
Robert
There is a test program here 
https://sensorkit.joy-it.net/en/sensors/ky-040

Perhaps this may help diagnose the issue ?