Thank you for your donation!

Cloudsmith graciously provides open-source package management and distribution for our project.

Routing audio from eg. chromium via moOde?
A the continuation of this thread: desktop GUI/VNC log in issue as it had strayed from the original topic.

It is not an issue as such, rather a request for suggestions from any one who may be knowledgeable on the issues involved.
I should also state that I am aware that there already exist alternative ways of doing what I am asking about (some of which I have tried and use), what I am looking for is a simpler, more streamlined and potentially better sounding way of achieving it.

I have a PC in front of me on which I use the moOde interface to control music played from a Pi wired to an audio system. Much of the time that is web radio.
I also have JRMC on the PC and use that to stream music stored on the PC to the Pi as a UPnP endpoint.

I also run chromium as a browser on the Pi itself (no desktop environment, launched from a terminal) and view it via VNC (I find this more stable than XMing).
The browser on the Pi is so that I can use catch-up radio and Bandcamp without needing to use eg. a phone/bluetooth/airplay.

The audio from the browser does not go via moOde however, it is handled by ALSA.

So the question: can I get the audio from chromium to go via moOde instead?

I have also recently started using Qobuz again and have been reading the various ways that users are finding to handle that now, including installing Bubble server on the Pi.
I am currently switching between BubbleUPnP on Android as a control point and using the Qobuz browser player via VNC on the Pi. As before, I still prefer to leave the phone out of the chain and stick with the wired PC/Pi option where possible.

If Windows would allow me to select moOde as a UPnP endpont in the way that JRMC does then that would be good, but last time I looked it was Windows that made that one difficult.

Thank you.
If you mean have Chromium act like one of the integrated renderers for example Spotify then AFAIK that would not be possible because Chromium does not launch a separate player application that could be configured and monitored.
Enjoy the Music!
moodeaudio.org | Mastodon Feed | GitHub
(12-13-2021, 01:26 PM)Tim Curtis Wrote: If you mean have Chromium act like one of the integrated renderers for example Spotify then AFAIK that would not be possible because Chromium does not launch a separate player application that could be configured and monitored.

OK, that makes sense, thank you. Viewed from the other side though, could RaspiOS Lite see moOde as an output device for all audio? (albeit not a physical device).

A potential advantage (as I see it) would be that any streaming service that has a browser player could be logged onto on the Pi and routed via moOde without the need for log on credentials being passed on, which seems to be the issue with Qobuz now as compared to when there was a Qobuz renderer built in.
If by "moOde" you mean MPD then just guessing that if there were some way to get the audio from applications on the Pi for example Chromium Browser to a streaming server running on the Pi then MPD could play the stream as if it were a radio station. I have no idea whether this is possible.
Enjoy the Music!
moodeaudio.org | Mastodon Feed | GitHub
(12-13-2021, 02:43 PM)Tim Curtis Wrote: If by "moOde" you mean MPD then just guessing that if there were some way to get the audio from applications on the Pi for example Chromium Browser to a streaming server running on the Pi then MPD could play the stream as if it were a radio station. I have no idea whether this is possible.

Yes, MPD. So also yes, if what you suggest could work then it would achieve what I am asking.