Thank you for your donation!

Cloudsmith graciously provides open-source package management and distribution for our project.

Problem: Smsl D300 Dac - loud "pop" noise before playing the first song
Do you have MPD set to Software volume? If so then set to Hardware volume, turn volume to 0 and then re-post the amixer -c2 output. Thx.
Enjoy the Music!
moodeaudio.org | Mastodon Feed | GitHub
(01-31-2022, 06:19 PM)Tim Curtis Wrote: Do you have MPD set to Software volume? If so then set to Hardware volume, turn volume to 0 and then re-post the amixer -c2 output. Thx.

This is the output

Code:
Simple mixer control 'SMSL USB AUDIO ',0
  Capabilities: pvolume pswitch
  Playback channels: Front Left - Front Right
  Limits: Playback 0 - 127
  Mono:
  Front Left: Playback 0 [0%] [-127.00dB] [on]
  Front Right: Playback 0 [0%] [-127.00dB] [on]
Simple mixer control 'SMSL USB AUDIO ',1
  Capabilities: pvolume pvolume-joined pswitch pswitch-joined
  Playback channels: Mono
  Limits: Playback 0 - 127
  Mono: Playback 127 [100%] [0.00dB] [on]

Thanks
Ok thanks.

That shows that ALSA volume control named 'SMSL USB AUDIO ',0 is at -127dB which would be complete silence.

What I don't quite understand is the second ALSA volume control named 'SMSL USB AUDIO ',1 which is set to full volume (0dB). Maybe this control can be adjusted using alsamixer?

If you don't mind, fire up alsamixer and post a screen shot. it should show the two volume controls.
Code:
alsamixer -c2

Try setting the control that is at 100% to 0 and then see of the glitch still occurs.
Enjoy the Music!
moodeaudio.org | Mastodon Feed | GitHub
(01-31-2022, 06:43 PM)Tim Curtis Wrote: Ok thanks.

That shows that ALSA volume control named 'SMSL USB AUDIO ',0 is at -127dB which would be complete silence.

What I don't quite understand is the second ALSA volume control named 'SMSL USB AUDIO ',1 which is set to full volume (0dB). Maybe this control can be adjusted using alsamixer?

If you don't mind, fire up alsamixer and post a screen shot. it should show the two volume controls.
Code:
alsamixer -c2

Try setting the control that is at 100% to 0 and then see of the glitch still occurs.

This is the otput:

Code:
lqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqq AlsaMixer v1.1.8 qqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqk
x Card: SMSL USB AUDIO                                 F1:  Help               x
x Chip: USB Mixer                                      F2:  System information x
x View: F3:[Playback] F4: Capture  F5: All             F6:  Select sound card  x
x Item: SMSL USB AUDIO  [dB gain: -127.00, -127.00]    Esc: Exit               x
x                                                                              x
x                           lqqk               lqqk                            x
x                           x  x               xaax                            x
x                           x  x               xaax                            x
x                           tqqu               tqqu                            x
x                           xOOx               xOOx                            x
x                           mqqj               mqqj                            x
x                           0<>0               100                             x
x                   < SMSL USB AUDIO   >SMSL USB AUDIO  1                      x
mqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqj

I've setting the Alsa Mixer control to 0 but the glitch still occurs (volume hardware).

Thx.
Hello everybody,
after the release of the fantastic new version 8.0 I did a test with a fresh installation but the problem persists.

Do you have any suggestions or changes to the mOode parameters to fix the problem?

Thank you very much.
Hi. I don't have that DAC, I have a Topping D10s and have a similar issue, but it's more prevalent. There is a pop whenever I start playback or switch tracks.

I use Linux at my primary OS so I tested on Arch and it does the same thing.

Apparently certain DAC designs just do this and there is nothing in the OS you can do about it.
Check if "HDMI Port" and "Local UI Display" are turned off. If not, do so, reboot and try again.
- moOde 7.0.1
- Allo USBridge Signature (Ethernet)
- Streaming Tidal to device via Bubble-UPnP (Android smartphone)
- miniDSP 2x4 HD (connected via USB of course)
- 24" monitor connected via the USBridge's HDMI output
(03-30-2022, 03:15 PM)gsgleason Wrote: Hi.  I don't have that DAC, I have a Topping D10s and have a similar issue, but it's more prevalent. There is a pop whenever I start playback or switch tracks.

I use Linux at my primary OS so I tested on Arch and it does the same thing.

Apparently certain DAC designs just do this and there is nothing in the OS you can do about it.

Hi @gsgleason - thats strange.  I have the Topping D10s too (nice dac!) - and a few other Chinese generic USB dacs (ESS9018 and ESS9028 based), plus some i2s dacs and hats (various chip types).  None of them give pops on startup, track changes, sample rate changes, stopping etc in Moode.  This is on latest 8.02, as well as far back as I can remember with Moode.  Also tried Volumio, and Rune briefly in the past (pre-Topping), plus USB dacs on my main systems running Linux Mint (various versions going back), and don't recall that type of issue other than a faint noise (pop?) on sample rate changes on some of the no-name i2s hats/boards - I just put that down to poor implementation on some of the "clone" boards.
It might be worth doing a bit more digging (happy to share my settings if that helps?) - those sort of glitches must be really annoying given the otherwise great performance of the D10s.
Regards
Adrian
@gsgleason fortunately in my system the problem only occurs when I play the first song and it is certainly related to Raspberry OS or Smsl drivers because using Foobar 2000 and the dac drivers on a pc with windows, the loud pop noise does not occur. With the last version of moOde  8.0.2 the problem persist.

@adrian311 I have already disabled these parameters but the loud pop noise isn't gone.

Anyway since moOde is an integral part of my hifi system and I can't do without it, I keep the volume of the amplifier at zero when after booting, I activate the first song.