Thank you for your donation!

Cloudsmith graciously provides open-source package management and distribution for our project.

Two Questions
(03-31-2022, 09:41 PM)Tim Curtis Wrote: Very odd.

What version of moOde?

I work in a hospital. The local IT guy came out once and said they have a code they use in the department: ID10T. 

I think I just qualified for the ID10T code. 

It was a bad ethernet cable. The whole time, all the issues, stuttering, reboot disconnections.. 

I apologize for taking up the forum's space and more importantly everyone's time.  

Should've started with the cable. ID10T! 

David
(03-31-2022, 10:15 PM)Lttlwing16 Wrote:
(03-31-2022, 09:41 PM)Tim Curtis Wrote: Very odd.

What version of moOde?

I work in a hospital. The local IT guy came out once and said they have a code they use in the department: ID10T. 

I think I just qualified for the ID10T code. 

It was a bad ethernet cable. The whole time, all the issues, stuttering, reboot disconnections.. 

I apologize for taking up the forum's space and more importantly everyone's time.  

Should've started with the cable. ID10T! 

David

We have ALL of us, at one time or another, failed to check the cable.
----------------
Robert
@Tim Curtis

Hey so I thought my stuttering issues with 24bit/96khz streamed files were related to network issues, alas they persist.

I flashed a fresh install of 8.0.2 tonight on a known working sdcard.

Oddly the remedy is to play any 16/44.1khz song and then the 24/96khz files play without issues.

At first I suspected the i2s sync issue, but the files play fine even with the error present, *after playing a single 16/44.1 file.

The allo digione doesn't list support for s32_LE files, but the files I am attempting to playback were recorded as s32_LE .wav files, uploaded to Audacity in a 32bit Float session, then "exported" as 24/96 .flac files. -- Could this be the culprit?

EDIT: 

Did some more testing this am: 

HDMI output from MoOde: No issues with 24/96 files
Coax output from Digione: Same stuttering behavior to two different DAC's (Topping D30 and Denon 4700H Digital Audio Input).
Different coax cable: Same stuttering behavior via Digione coax output
Battery pack powering moOde: promising, but still pending results... (waiting for it to charge fully) 

THanks!

David
More findings:

I'm coming to believe the I2S sync error is unrelated to the skipping issue as I get them for both 16/44.1 files and 24/96 files, skipping or no skipping.

Interestingly when I tried an external battery pack the 24/96 stuttering persisted, and the kernel was complaining about undervoltage. I powered down, then powered on with the ifi 5v wall wart and lo and behold there was no stuttering from 24/96 files. So possibly power supply related.. more exploring.
Making sure you are delivering adequate power (voltage and current both) to the Pi and associated devices is step #1. 

As an aside, in a weak moment some years ago, I bought an IFI 5V supply and found the DC>microUSB adapter so problematic that I ended up tossing the supply in a drawer. I thought about cutting off the barrel connectors and soldering the wires directly instead but official Raspberry Pi power supplies have been working very reliably for me so I never bothered. Any noise these supplies hypothetically might be injecting into the audio chain is inaudible to me in my listening environment.

Regards,
Kent
(04-03-2022, 09:33 PM)TheOldPresbyope Wrote: Making sure you are delivering adequate power (voltage and current both) to the Pi and associated devices is step #1. 

As an aside, in a weak moment some years ago, I bought an IFI 5V supply and found the DC>microUSB adapter so problematic that I ended up tossing the supply in a drawer. I thought about cutting off the barrel connectors and soldering the wires directly instead but official Raspberry Pi power supplies have been working very reliably for me so I never bothered. Any noise these supplies hypothetically might be injecting into the audio chain is inaudible to me in my listening environment.

Regards,
Kent

Thanks Kent,

I'm just still struggling to understand from a power supply issue, how playing a 16/44.1 file can correct the playback of 24/96 files. So baffling.  

Your experience is interesting..I always felt a $50 switching power supply was a rip-off.. that said, I chose the ifi power supply as I read it was a good compliment to the Rpi based streamers. 

I've got a message out to the folks at Allo, and we'll see what they recommend. Hopefully I will hear back by tomorrow. 

Thanks again,

David
re: 5V iFi iPower supply

I've been using such a power supply (the first 'incarnation' sold by iFi) feeding 5 Vcc to a MoOde streamer (RPi2 + Allo Boss v1) located in the kitchen for at least 3 years on a daily basis; no problems so far... and my Better Half is quite pleased :-)
(04-04-2022, 02:50 PM)CallMeMike Wrote: re: 5V iFi iPower supply

I've been using such a power supply (the first 'incarnation' sold by iFi) feeding 5 Vcc to a MoOde streamer (RPi2 + Allo Boss v1) located in the kitchen for at least 3 years on a daily basis; no problems so far... and my Better Half is quite pleased :-)

You know I've been pleased with mine, until this issue arose, albeit I don't know the ifi is to blame. I ordered a Nirvana SMPS from Allo to see if it changes anything.
In the interest of making sure my aside didn't misdirect you, my issue was not with the IFI power supply itself. AFAIK it meets its specs. 

My issue was that the lead from the power supply terminates in a barrel plug. To power a Pi, you have to use their short adapter cable which has a barrel receptacle at one end and a microUSB plug at the other. It was the barrel plug-to-barrel receptacle connection which I found to be unreliable, It was susceptible to noisy or even intermittent connection if the cable were subject to movement. That's unacceptable in my book.

Was this a one-off problem or is it endemic? Dunno but I thought it worth mentioning.

Like I said, I could have clipped off the two connectors and soldered the remaining cable segments together, but I haven't bothered with it because I found the IFI power supply itself to be unnecessary.

Regards,
Kent
(04-04-2022, 11:01 PM)TheOldPresbyope Wrote: In the interest of making sure my aside didn't misdirect you, my issue was not with the IFI power supply itself. AFAIK it meets its specs. 

My issue was that the lead from the power supply terminates in a barrel plug. To power a Pi, you have to use their short adapter cable which has a barrel receptacle at one end and a microUSB plug at the other. It was the barrel plug-to-barrel receptacle connection which I found to be unreliable, It was susceptible to noisy or even intermittent connection if the cable were subject to movement. That's unacceptable in my book.

Was this a one-off problem or is it endemic? Dunno but I thought it worth mentioning.

Like I said, I could have clipped off the two connectors and soldered the remaining cable segments together, but I haven't bothered with it because I found the IFI power supply itself to be unnecessary.

Regards,
Kent

Nope, not at all. I knew what you meant, and even more so now. It had no bearing on my decision to get the Nirvana. 

My moOde player stays tucked away in the media cabinet. The only time it moves is when I move it to do something with it. The barrel connector was fine. The new Nirvana SMPS comes with a barrel connector as well, but also has a USB 5v/2.85a output which I'll use to avoid the barrel connector, well, just because less points of failure. 

I'm leary if the new power supply will correct the issue, but the folks at Allo, simply replied "we will look into your issue"..which I took to mean you're on your own. We shall see! 

David