Thank you for your donation!

Cloudsmith graciously provides open-source package management and distribution for our project.

Ability to house REW
@Marrahm

Quote:But it seems there are some things in the MoodePi OS setup that prevent it from loading the current Linux REW and/or the necessary JRE. I’m just not smart enough to identify them.

Quote:But if the MoodePI OS could be configured such that we can install the latest JRE, we could just install the latest REW via SSH and run it that way on an as needed basis.

Sorry, it *is* configured to install recent Java (openjdk-11-jre).

The thing is, REW doesn't want a recent version (which leads to it trying to install the AMD64 JVM). As the above posts about the REW Linux Installer pointed out, REW wants Java 8. One needs only the JRE so let's get the openJDK version...

On my RPi4B running a test-team build of moOde 8 (just the only unmodified moOde player I have up ATM)

Code:
pi@M8Pre4Pi4B:~ $ sudo apt install openjdk-8-jre
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree... Done
Reading state information... Done
The following additional packages will be installed:
 ca-certificates-java fonts-dejavu-extra java-common libatk-wrapper-java
 libatk-wrapper-java-jni libgail-common libgail18 libgif7 libgtk2.0-0
 libgtk2.0-bin libgtk2.0-common openjdk-8-jre-headless
Suggested packages:
 default-jre gvfs fonts-ipafont-gothic fonts-ipafont-mincho
 fonts-wqy-microhei fonts-wqy-zenhei fonts-indic
The following NEW packages will be installed:
 libgtk2.0-bin libgtk2.0-common openjdk-8-jre openjdk-8-jre-headless
0 upgraded, 13 newly installed, 0 to remove and 1 not upgraded.
Need to get 33.1 MB of archives.
After this operation, 130 MB of additional disk space will be used.
Do you want to continue? [Y/n]
...many lines later...
pi@M8Pre4Pi4B:~ $ ./REW_linux_5_20_5.sh
Starting Installer ...
This will install REW on your computer.
OK [o, Enter], Cancel [c]

Where I had previously downloaded the REW installer script and marked it as executable.

I don't see a problem. 

Of course, you'll now have the challenge of input and display once you get it running. Since the REW GUI creates an Xwindow, you could run it remotely from some other host running an Xserver, but that's outside the scope of moOde.

I still think an RPi4B running RaspbiOS Desktop is a better approach.

Regards,
Kent

ETA - In response to Tim's last post, moOde 8 is built on RaspiOS Bullseye but I just confirmed the same procedure works on a moOde 7.6.1 player which is built on RaspiOS Buster.
Tim, it is not easily installable on the new bullseye. I have tried with both the 32 and 64 bit kernels after doing a clean install with update/upgrade. Situation is the same:

-installing “default” open Java works fine, but it installs the newest version, which REW does not seem to like b/c it still tries to install its internal v8 JRE

-Internal JRE still fails after checking the installed JRE status, unpacking the internal JRE and posting following error:
“The architecture or bitness (32/64) of the bundled JVM might not match your machine.”

Since this seems like an REW issue and not a Moode issue, I’ll see what that team says about it. If they used the current JRE, that seems like it would solve everything, but I’m sure thats easier said than done. Thanks for taking a look at it.

Mike
(02-22-2022, 03:11 AM)Marrahm Wrote: it is not easily installable.  I have pulled the latest official 64b bullseye lite and can report:

-installing “default” open Java works fine, but it installs the newest version, which REW does not seem to like b/c it still tries to install its internal v8 JRE

-Internal JRE still fails after checking the installed JRE status, unpacking the internal JRE and posting following error:
  “The architecture or bitness (32/64) of the bundled JVM might not match your machine.”

I have to think the internal JRE is 32B and not 64, so I’ll try that next.  The only 64b v8 JRE that I could find (on OpenJDK) will not load either as it has a list of dependencies that cannot be resolved, presumably b/c they don’t exist for bullseye yet.  

Mike

You can choose either the default 32-bit kernel or the optional 64-bit kernel in moOde 7.6.1 but in either case the root filesystem is 32-bit. Period.

ETA: I think you'd get where you want to go a lot faster if you started posting to the official REW forum or to diyaudio.com.
(02-21-2022, 09:18 PM)TheOldPresbyo Wrote: On my RPi4B running a test-team build of moOde 8 (just the only unmodified moOde player I have up ATM)

Code:
pi@M8Pre4Pi4B:~ $ sudo apt install openjdk-8-jre
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree... Done
Reading state information... Done
The following additional packages will be installed:
 libgtk2.0-bin libgtk2.0-common openjdk-8-jre-headless
Suggested packages:
 default-jre gvfs fonts-ipafont-gothic fonts-ipafont-mincho
 fonts-wqy-microhei fonts-wqy-zenhei fonts-indic
The following NEW packages will be installed:
 libgtk2.0-bin libgtk2.0-common openjdk-8-jre openjdk-8-jre-headless
0 upgraded, 13 newly installed, 0 to remove and 1 not upgraded.
Need to get 33.1 MB of archives.
After this operation, 130 MB of additional disk space will be used.
Do you want to continue? [Y/n]
...many lines later...
pi@M8Pre4Pi4B:~ $ ./REW_linux_5_20_5.sh
Starting Installer ...
This will install REW on your computer.
OK [o, Enter], Cancel [c]

Kent,

this is on the new Bullseye OS for moode 8?   If so, did you install any other repositories from stock?  When I tried to install open8 JRE it was unable to find it in the bullseye reps.

mike
@Marrahm

Fresh out of the box, a virgin 32-bit RaspiOS Bullseye with Desktop running on a Pi400:

Code:
pi@raspberrypi:~ $ apt-cache search openjdk-8-jre
libreoffice - office productivity suite (metapackage)
openjdk-8-jre - OpenJDK Java runtime, using Hotspot JIT
openjdk-8-jre-headless - OpenJDK Java runtime, using Hotspot JIT (headless)
openjdk-8-jre-zero - Alternative JVM for OpenJDK, using Zero/Shark

This thread is very getting far afield of moOde and moOde issues. The official REW forum is the place for questions about REW on Raspberry Pi OS with RPi hardware.

Regards,
Kent