Thank you for your donation!

Cloudsmith graciously provides open-source package management and distribution for our project.

Problem: Losing Wifi Connection
Quote:Just got to convince my partner that it's ok to take up some floor boards!

A 'vermin check' often works here ;-)
----------
bob
(02-24-2022, 08:53 AM)DRONE7 Wrote:
Quote:Just got to convince my partner that it's ok to take up some floor boards!

Ha, I like your thinking. I'll send the cat in first to make it more plausible!
(02-24-2022, 08:59 AM)TamedShrew Wrote:
(02-24-2022, 08:53 AM)DRONE7 Wrote:

Ha, I like your thinking. I'll send the cat in first to make it more plausible!

Subterfuge has its place but you might want to consider using powerline network adapters in place of ethernet cables, at least in areas more difficult to wire up. I used them for years to run several ethernet network segments to NAS, printers, and compute server in two areas of the townhouse where WiFi was sketchy. The products on offer have gotten progressively better over the years.

The ISP-provided router/access point in our new digs provides great 2-band WiFi coverage to most of it but I still use a pair of powerline adapters to bridge to one area.

Just my 2-cents worth.

Regards,
Kent

PS - our cat is completely immune to thoughts of doing anything useful.
Even a reformed audiophile might balk at polluting the mains with a powerline network adapter Sad
I'm using a GL.iNet GL-MT330N-V2 mini-router as a wifi range extender. I have it close to the RPi and connected to it via ethernet.
Unfortunately the price has almost doubled since I bought mine 18 months ago. Works well though.
(02-24-2022, 04:27 PM)jonners Wrote: Even a reformed audiophile might balk at polluting the mains with a powerline network adapter Sad
I'm using a GL.iNet GL-MT330N-V2 mini-router as a wifi range extender. I have it close to the RPi and connected to it via ethernet.
Unfortunately the price has almost doubled since I bought mine 18 months ago. Works well though.

@TheOldPresbyope The rooms I need to get to are on different ring mains. I seem to remember PowerLine plugs only working on the same ring main, unless things have really come on? The cat's not going to be let off that easily.

@jonners I have a third moOde setup in the kitchen using just this method. Great minds think alike and all that.
(02-24-2022, 04:53 PM)TamedShrew Wrote:
(02-24-2022, 04:27 PM)jonners Wrote: Even a reformed audiophile might balk at polluting the mains with a powerline network adapter Sad

@TheOldPresbyope The rooms I need to get to are on different ring mains. I seem to remember PowerLine plugs only working on the same ring main, unless things have really come on? The cat's not going to be let off that easily.

@jonners I have a third moOde setup in the kitchen using just this method. Great minds think alike and all that.

Ah, well. The powerline network adapters are an inexpensive solution compared to WiFi mesh networking products, but the Eero system I helped a friend setup works well and has much higher throughput than the range extenders he was using previously. Besides Eero there's Orbi and others..

Regards,
Kent