Thank you for your donation!

Cloudsmith graciously provides open-source package management and distribution for our project.

Need a bit of input on an enhancement
Question 
Hi,

I'm starting to work on an enhancement to the track list in Tag/Album view that enables the selected track plus all following tracks to be added to the Queue and played. Currently only the selected track is added to the Queue.

I'm thinking that this would be the default behavior for Play and Clear/Play while Add, Add next and Play next would only operate on the selected track.

It could also be implemented as a Preferences setting in the Library section for example:

Track play: Track (Default) or Track+
( i ) help
Track (Default) Play the selected track only
Track+ Play the selected track plus add all following tracks to the Queue

Any feedback would be appreciated.

-Tim
Enjoy the Music!
moodeaudio.org | Mastodon Feed | GitHub
I find the options used in upplay  to be useful.

One can right click on the album cover and choose 'send to playlist' or left click and the tracks open for viewing.
right click on a selected track and options are :
Send to playlist (individual track so repeat to select only the ones to listen to)
Send all to playlist (having seen the tracks list and confirming to play all)
Send all from here to playlist. (this track and all following)

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

----------
bob
I think the prefernces implementation would work best Tim. I'd certainly make use of the feature.
----------------
Robert
Yeah I think that's a great idea Tim.

The new behaviour would be more in line with the majority of other music playback applications, well one's I've used at least such as, USB Audio Player Pro, Kodi, Roon, Rhythmbox, Tidal etc.
Below are some screen shots.

When "Track play" is set to "Track+" the Play and Clear/Play context menu items get a + sign tacked onto the end.

Enjoy the Music!
Yup, that looks very good to me.
----------------
Robert
(04-08-2022, 02:13 PM)Tim Curtis Wrote: Below are some screen shots.

When "Track play" is set to "Track+" the Play and Clear/Play context menu items get a + sign tacked onto the end.

Hi Tim,

I think that I would prefer further options on the mouse click on a track, so, for example
Clear/Play
Clear/Play+

then I could choose which one I needed in a particular situation rather than having to change my Preferences each time.  Sometimes I would like to play existing track forward (e.g. movements of classical work), but sometimes I would want to select specific tracks (e.g. favourites from a compilation).

Regards,
Geoff
(04-08-2022, 03:13 PM)GStevens Wrote: but sometimes I would want to select specific tracks (e.g. favourites from a compilation).

In this use case, you would use the "add" function, which would still be single track.
----------------
Robert
@GStevens The challenge is that having all or many options visible on menus or configuration screens makes navigation and finding things more difficult. Generally the goal is to have options visible that satisfy the most common usage scenario.

Having a way to customize the menus by selecting which options appear would be a way to help cover more usage scenarios but  implementing this is non-trivial. It's actually been on the TODO list for a very long time but always loses the priority battle with other items on the list.

It's a good project for an enterprising developer though :-)
Enjoy the Music!
(04-08-2022, 03:18 PM)the_bertrum Wrote:
(04-08-2022, 03:13 PM)GStevens Wrote: but sometimes I would want to select specific tracks (e.g. favourites from a compilation).

In this use case, you would use the "add" function, which would still be single track.

I would still need Clear Play for the first track - assuming that I wanted to clear the queue.  But as Tim says, this is not trivial, and will need some careful thought.  I find that a few ‘sleeps ‘ helps!

Geoff