Thank you for your donation!

Cloudsmith graciously provides open-source package management and distribution for our project.

Multiroom receiver cannot be enabled with I2S device
Hi,

finally I got my new Pi4 so that I can now try multiroom with two Pi's. The proof-of-concept with a sender and receiver worked well.
The new Pi uses a DAC which is configured in Moode as RPi-DAC. I've set the volume type to fixed but with this configured, I cannot switch on multiroom receiver. When I change the output type to HDMI or headphone jack, I can enable the receiver.

Am I missing something or are DACs not supported in a multiroom mode (and if so why?)

Many thanks!
The rpi-dac driver does not support Hardware volume. What audio device are you using?

The help text from the Receiver section of Multiroom Config is not clear on what exactly is meant by "supports Hardware volume". 

Code:
The Receiver requires an audio device that supports Hardware volume.
NOTE: Volume type must be set to Hardware or Fixed (0dB) in MPD Config.

It should prolly read something like below. I'll update it for upcoming moOde 8.1.0.

Code:
The Receiver requires an audio device that shows "Hardware" in the Volume type dropdown in Audio Config.
NOTE: Volume type must be set to Hardware or Fixed (0dB).
Enjoy the Music!
moodeaudio.org | Mastodon Feed | GitHub
(05-06-2022, 12:12 PM)Tim Curtis Wrote: The rpi-dac driver does not support Hardware volume. What audio device are you using?

The help text from the Receiver section of Multiroom Config is not clear on what exactly is meant by "supports Hardware volume". 

Code:
The Receiver requires an audio device that supports Hardware volume.
NOTE: Volume type must be set to Hardware or Fixed (0dB) in MPD Config.

It should prolly read something like below. I'll update it for upcoming moOde 8.1.0.

Code:
The Receiver requires an audio device that shows "Hardware" in the Volume type dropdown in Audio Config.
NOTE: Volume type must be set to Hardware or Fixed (0dB).

Thanks Tim, I'm using the Geekworm DACPi which is (somehow) compatible with the Hifiberry DAC or the RPi-DAC. I'm slowly finding my way into DACs etc but I guess, this one does offer the required features.
The manufacturer should have a product information page that specifies which driver to use.
Enjoy the Music!
moodeaudio.org | Mastodon Feed | GitHub
I found a page on the GeekWorm Wiki which may be useful

https://wiki.geekworm.com/DACPi

It claims the DAC chip is a PCM5122. This suggests one or more of the following drivers ("DT overlay" in moOde 8 speak) may work

hifiberry-dacplus
iqaudio-dacplus

OTOH, one of the anonymous posters to that Wiki page said that aplay -l returns PCM5102A, in which case the hifiberry-dac driver may work.

ETA - Sorry, I reread the Wiki page and realized I reversed the sequence of events. The anonymous poster said "for me, it [the DACpi] works only with dtoverlay=hifiberry-dac...."  aplay was merely returning strings extracted from the driver, not from the DAC board.

Good luck.

Regards,
Kent
(05-07-2022, 02:38 PM)TheOldPresbyope Wrote: I found a page on the GeekWorm Wiki which may be useful

https://wiki.geekworm.com/DACPi

It claims the DAC chip is a PCM5122. This suggests one or more of the following drivers ("DT overlay" in moOde 8 speak) may work

hifiberry-dacplus
iqaudio-dacplus

OTOH, one of the anonymous posters to that Wiki page said that aplay -l returns PCM5102A, in which case the hifiberry-dac driver may work.

ETA - Sorry, I reread the Wiki page and realized I reversed the sequence of events. The anonymous poster said "for me, it [the DACpi] works only with dtoverlay=hifiberry-dac...."  aplay was merely returning strings extracted from the driver, not from the DAC board.

Good luck.

Regards,
Kent

I have configured moode successfully to use the DACPi with the following:

Code:
dtparam=i2s=on
dtparam=audio=off
dtoverlay=iqaudio-dacplus
I have the DACPi, and it has always been fine with 'IQaudio Pi-DAC+' set in the 'Named I2S device' dropdown and Hardware volume.

Colin