Thank you for your donation!

Cloudsmith graciously provides open-source package management and distribution for our project.

tags, moOde/MPD and UPNP/OPenHome
(05-19-2022, 11:33 AM)TheOldPresbyope Wrote: only mood is left out.

How DARE they? Oh, calm down, there's no 'e'...
----------------
Robert
(05-19-2022, 12:54 AM)Tim Curtis Wrote: Yes, those tags are supported by MPD https://mpd.readthedocs.io/en/latest/protocol.html#tags but I've never seen them in my music collection that was ripped from CD using xld or in any of the 100's of test files that users have sent for analysis and troubleshooting.

Couple questions:

1. How are the tags being added to your collection?
2. Where in the UI would you propose displaying the tags?

@Tim Curtis

I use Tag on MacOs to manage tagging of my Lossless (.flac) collection. (iTunes does not support .flac)

I manually add the custom tags (particularly to Jazz recording) for:

Performer: instrument: artist; etc;
Label: release label

Just being able to add them to the list of Tags: album, genre, track, disc, date, composer, conductor, performer, encoded, [label], [location] that are displayed under the album-art would be a start.

More importantly, if they could be exposed in the /engine-mpd.php -> json ?
@TheOldPresbyope

In terms of "customizing your tracks to fit MPD's Procrustean Bed", .flacs can be tagged correctly, so it need only apply to files using id3 tags ie .mp3's.

For those, I will be happy enough to try and add 2 sets of tags:

1 for the most commonly used/correct tag and a 2nd to match what MPD needs.

Thing is, I see myself using an RPI based audio renderer such moOde for the foreseeable future.

With that said, I/we are kinda stuck with MPD, so may as well make it work !
(05-20-2022, 09:29 AM)schliden Wrote:
(05-19-2022, 12:54 AM)Tim Curtis Wrote: Yes, those tags are supported by MPD https://mpd.readthedocs.io/en/latest/protocol.html#tags but I've never seen them in my music collection that was ripped from CD using xld or in any of the 100's of test files that users have sent for analysis and troubleshooting.

Couple questions:

1. How are the tags being added to your collection?
2. Where in the UI would you propose displaying the tags?

@Tim Curtis

I use Tag on MacOs to manage tagging of my Lossless (.flac) collection. (iTunes does not support .flac)

I manually add the custom tags (particularly to Jazz recording) for:

Performer: instrument: artist; etc;
Label: release label

Just being able to add them to the list of Tags: album, genre, track, disc, date, composer, conductor, performer, encoded, [label], [location] that are displayed under the album-art would be a start.

More importantly, if they could be exposed in the /engine-mpd.php -> json ?

I can add to the TODO list to investigate but keep in mind that items on the TODO list compete with one another for priority and dev time and generally items that are more widely widely applicable are the ones that bubble to the top.
Enjoy the Music!
moodeaudio.org | Mastodon Feed | GitHub
Tim Curtis
[quote pid='41150' dateline='1652921658']
Yes, those tags are supported by MPD https://mpd.readthedocs.io/en/latest/protocol.html#tags but I've never seen them in my music collection that was ripped from CD using xld or in any of the 100's of test files that users have sent for analysis and troubleshooting.
[/quote]

Hmmm, I am pretty sure I was able to see the "comment" for FLAC files without any trick... just added to the tags I wanted to be shown under the album-art in the now-playing screen... I believe there is a 1-1 match for the tag and the JSON field they are retrieved from... I may be wrong though.

So if from a FLAC perspective everything appears to be already working, I expect the "performer" tag to be readily available, as of now.

Let me try... I'll be back sometime later today.

P.S. the "additional tags" thing automatically adds a bullet to separate the added tags, and does so even if such tag is an empty string; it is kind of annoying to me (I use the comment to specify compilation, EP, live, unplugged, etc. etc. if there is such a tag, I'll use that, I swear.), so I always get a double-bullet for ordinary studio albums (the majority of my collection).

Cheers, Al.
I can add "Omit empty tag from extra tags" to the TODO list.
Enjoy the Music!
moodeaudio.org | Mastodon Feed | GitHub
(06-24-2022, 12:19 PM)Tim Curtis Wrote: I can add "Omit empty tag from extra tags" to the TODO list.

Hi Tim,

that would be a nice touch :-)

Cheers, Al.