Thank you for your donation!

Cloudsmith graciously provides open-source package management and distribution for our project.

Problem: not seeing album art if using CUE sheets
Hi,

(it will be long, but I'll try to be as exhaustive as possible in describing the issues)

first things first:
- my music library consists almost entirely of a single flac file + cue sheet + folder.jpg
- every single album is in its folder, flac files also contain the album art in the "Cover (front)" in their ID3v2 tag
- the whole library is on an external USB HDD with the following tree:

- Music
    - A
        - Accept
        - Adele
        - Alice in Chains
            - Rainier Fog
                - Alice in Chains - Rainier Fog.cue
                - Alice in Chains - Rainier Fog.flac
                - folder.jpg
    - Z

I have set "ignore CUE files" to off, of course, generated the library and the thumbnails.

Now for the "bugs":

a) Library, Folder View
- in every folder I can see 2 entries, both of them being (e.g.) "Alice in Chains - Rainier Fog.cue", one with a folder icon, being actually browsable, and the other with some list icon, non-browsable. Both are playable, though.
- when I open the browsable one, I see no album art in the top item, describing the album itself.
- playing the folder => no album art in the now-playing page
- playing the CUE => album art is shown in the now-playing page
- playing the top item in the expanded CUE => album art is shown in the now-playing page
- playing any of the songs in the CUE => no album art in the now-playing page

b) Library, Artist Album view
- in the Artist Album view, no album art is shown for the albums, instead the icon for a file not being found is shown (by the browser itself, I mean, not from moOde)
- if I click on an album, I can see the tracks in it appearing at the bottom; the bigger album art now shows a default "moOde" image.

c) Library, Album view
- No album shows its album art, instead the same "file not found" icon is shown as in the album in the previous view.
- selecting the (...) to show the tracks gives the same bigger image (generic "moOde") as above.

NOTE: only the folders containing just audio files (no cue) with embedded art show up properly everywhere.

Some quick thoughts:

1. Since the browser shows its default image-not-found icon (and the HTML element has indeed a file - a hash of the audio filename, I assume), I must conclude that somehow the HTML generation is sure that the file should exist...

2. Could it be that... the thumbnail generator ONLY parses actual audio files (flac / mp3 / ogg etc. BUT DOES NOT PROCESS ANY CUE, neither plain, nor scanning their contents) WHILE the HTM generator just gets the file to play (a CUE), generates the hash that would - normally - lead to the album art in the thumbnail folder, but such file has never been generated.

Does this make sense?

Does anybody else experience the same?

Thanks for your attention, Al.
CUE support in moOde is very basic and there will be breakage in album art. It's because CUE is not widely used as compared to the typical individual track scheme that works equally well and is much more flexible in my experience.

You could try converting the Flac's to individual tracks using one of the nice splitter utilities otherwise maybe a dev with expertise in CUE will contribute some improvements.

The album art thumb generator hashes the directory path containing the song files to use as the file name of the thumbnail jpg. Typically this dir path is the Album name. It looks for embedded art in the last file in the dir of if no embedded art is found then it looks for any file of type image (folder.jpg etc).
Enjoy the Music!
moodeaudio.org | Mastodon Feed | GitHub
(06-05-2022, 01:42 AM)Tim Curtis Wrote: You could try converting the Flac's to individual tracks using one of the nice splitter utilities otherwise maybe a dev with expertise in CUE will contribute some improvements.

If you guarantee there will be absolutely NO GAP between the songs, I may give this a try... I hate listening to Pink Floyd and experience even the slightest "tsic" between the tracks.

Quote:The album art thumb generator hashes the directory path containing the song files to use as the file name of the thumbnail jpg. Typically this dir path is the Album name. It looks for embedded art in the last file in the dir of if no embedded art is found then it looks for any file of type image (folder.jpg etc).

This I may understand, but the generator makes the hash from one file, and the UI generates it based on another... the generator of course takes the containing directory; but the UI thinks the containing directory is the CUE itself, messing things up... in this case it would suffice to check if such "folder" is the CUE, and take its containing folder instead... 

If you can point me where the hashes for the expected thumbs are generated (for the UI, I mean, I see there are a few places where the thing is being done, at least these two: coverart.php and ./inc/playerlib.php) I can try to fix it myself; I can play with PHP

Thanks in advance, A;.
I've never experienced issues with gapless playback of flac tracks. Give it a try.

I took a quick look at basic cue handling in upcoming 8.1.0 and there appears to be some breakage :-0

Best to wait until I can get a chance to do some repairs. Also best to wait for the 8.1.0 code base. It's been partially refactored and should be much easier to work with :-)
Enjoy the Music!
moodeaudio.org | Mastodon Feed | GitHub
(06-05-2022, 09:02 PM)Tim Curtis Wrote: I've never experienced issues with gapless playback of flac tracks. Give it a try.

I took a quick look at basic cue handling in upcoming 8.1.0 and there appears to be some breakage :-0

Best to wait until I can get a chance to do some repairs. Also best to wait for the 8.1.0 code base. It's been partially refactored and should be much easier to work with :-)

I'll try the single songs, but will eagerly wait for the 8.1.0 code base... :-)

Thanks.